⁰⁹darth

clementine

What a fitting title for such a beautiful song. I wondered how it would sound like and how he would play it. Maybe with the piano? The guitar? It seemed like it was meant to be a soft-spoken song with an acoustic background, but then again, it could have loud production and be the kind of song that says "grand gesture".

While talking with Luke, I helped Amara prepare our breakfast while we talked with Cameron through a call. He was excitedly telling Amara the good news about his manuscript while making himself a cup of coffee.

After plopping in berries to the chia mix, I dove in with a teaspoon and started eating, my phone in my other hand and typing away in conversation with Luke.

"How about 'deep to where your secrets hide, where we've been a thousand times, swallow every single lie, take all of me,'" I sent, helping him write new lyrics for Lover of Mine since he insisted that the innuendo was a little too apparent. "That way, it's a little less innuendo-y but still has that innuendo ya know?"

I took a bite from my breakfast and awaited his reply, listening in to Amara and Cameron's conversation since he was on speaker.

My eyes darted back to my phone when it buzzed, seeing a new message pop up from him. "I like that one, I'll keep that,"

I smiled, taking another bite from my breakfast, pretty glad that I was contributing to what might be going in the album aside from the cover. I've been surrounded by people who love writing and have written but I've never actually written things myself, and doing so made me feel light inside.

Suddenly, a little voice recording pops up from Luke and I stare curiously at it. "Lover of Mine, so far..." He says and I turn my phone off, poking Amara's arm so I could ask her for her earphones.

"Ey, can I borrow your earphones? I think I left mine at the studio,"

She mindlessly nods while talking and digs through her bag that was sitting on the counter. She hands me the knotted up earphones and I quietly thank her before running to my bedroom with my breakfast and phone.

This would be the first stages of the song and I'm honoured to have been able to be part of it. And god, hearing Luke's voice always made me melt. I hadn't listened to any of the band's more recent work, only from their first album, so I was curious as to how he sounded now.

I noticed from their debut album that their accents were quite apparent, but hearing them talk now, there was definitely a big change in between.

I plug in the earphones and press play on the recording, lying myself back on my bed and letting his voice fill the silence.

He opens the recording by clearing his throat then laughing awkwardly. "Okay, so, uh, this is Lover of Mine," He says, his voice having a slight rasp as though he's just woken up. Then I hear him press on a piano, emanating a beautiful, gloomy sound. But he pauses, stammering. "I - uh - I'm still figuring out the chords and all that, so it might sound a little messy," He clears his throat again and proceeds with the piano.

He plays a progression of sad-sounding notes, giving the song a different light from where I saw it. "Lover of mine, maybe we'll take some time," He starts and my heart swells at the mature sound of his vocals. "Kaleidoscope mind gets in the way. Hope and I pray, darling, that you will stay,"

He sings the novel song and I can't help but feel the tiniest bit jealous at whoever he's singing about. The song is too beautiful to not be about someone, and that's some lucky person.

He sings the song so delicately as though one wrong note could completely break the song and it wouldn't be the same again. His voice warms me and I wished for a second that he was in my room singing right to me. Silly thoughts like that are what I shake my head 'no' to. He's my client and I shouldn't get into complicated relationships with people I'm doing business with.