⁵⁶twilight moments

clementine

This resort sure knows how to throw a party. It's buzzing with life.

Children are running around, parents gorging on the buffet, my siblings swarming the chocolate fountain with their hands full of marshmallows.

A karaoke set sits from afar, three drunks trying to simultaneously screech into the poor microphone.

Everyone's surprisingly in classy clothing. Some women dared to sport short skirts and sleeveless clothes despite the apparent cold, and a few men have even decided to come in their black suits and ties.

I'd contemplated on wearing a simple match of black jeans and a hoodie, but after knowing that Luke would come donning a loose blue button-up under a leather jacket, I decided to one-up him and change.

So I in a knee-length sundress over some tights and a black turtleneck; I smiled smugly when he stared for a second, brows raised and stuck in place.

I should've probably went with the warmer option, but if I'm dying by hypothermia, at least I should die pretty.

Now I'm stuffing my face with the gingerbread cookies that the party provided, the sweet taste making me want even more as I wash it down with a Capri Sun.

Besides the liquor in the open bar and the glasses that are too small to carry enough water that'd actually quench any thirst, I managed to get a Capri Sun from their little grocery store in the second floor. Nothing says "classy" the way a Capri Sun does.

I'm sat on a round table with Luke, Calum, and Crystal, watching a drunk Ashton and Michael make a fool of themselves as they try their best dance moves all while Andi, their photographer, is cheering them on from the sidelines.

Just I lean on elbow on the table, I feel the plain surface vibrate, and I turn my attention to Maddie's phone sitting beside her empty plate, 'jules<3' lighting up the screen.

I eye the heart.

Taking her phone and clicking on answer, I put the receiver to my ear as I get up and head to the chocolate fountain where Maddie's trying to coat multiple marshmallows with it.

"Hé, Maddie, je peux te poser une question?" Jules asks, a chary tone wearing her. "Mais t'inquietes, c'est rien de mauvais,"

"Hé, Jules, c'est la sœur de Maddie," I say into the receiver, pausing her right in the middle of her sentence and catching her off-guard.

"Clem?" She whispers my name as though we're familiars.

Once I reach Maddie, I tap her shoulder and put her phone by her ear. "It's someone named 'Jules', she called just now,"

Maddie's eyes turn wider than I've ever seen, and she quickly hands me her plate and shoves the chocolatey marshmallows into her mouth. "Julie! Salut! Ça va?"

She turns and wanders off to the lifts before looking back at me and gesturing for me to follow.

I nod, running back to my table, retrieving my phone, and following Maddie as she gets into an open lift.

"Pretend you don't hear?" She asks of me, and I follow her heed.

I open my phone as she talks to Jules, scrolling about randomly as the lift brings us to the highest floor, the rooftop.

11:45, the big, bold numbers at the top of my screen say.

Once we arrive, we get out and I let her walk ahead, suddenly feeling the chilling wind hit me.