²⁹a fire

clementine

Days passed and I'd barely spoken a single word to Luke. I'd stare at our previous texts but I'd never end up saying anything. A part of me was waiting for him to say something first, another part knew he was waiting for me.

When the weekdays came, I buried myself in my work once again, battling a headache every night or so, returning home at two AM and back in the studio at seven. I was back in my old routine, yet something felt missing.

As I worked, I would listen to my new playlist, mostly made up of songs by Luke and the boys. It was odd to work with something playing loudly by my ear when I was just so used to the silence.

I slowly worked on their album cover, feeling truly immersed as I was already listening to their music. I sketched out their faces and bodies and began working, looking back and forth from the reference photo and the canvas.

By the time Friday came, I was exhausted out of my mind. I'd worked on two separate paintings, one for a regular and the other the album cover.

Between the two, the album cover was my favourite. I worked on the boy's faces, and it felt odd to create the faces of people I already knew - by that, I hoped to God I wouldn't mess anything up.

When time struck nine, I decided to go home early, for once. I put away my brushes and readied myself to head out, putting on my shoes and slinging my bag over my shoulder.

Since Annie was staying late, I didn't bother to lock the front door and just headed straight to hail a cab.

When I search through my pockets for some fare, I grab out a piece of paper, hard-edged and unfamiliar in my touch.

I stare down at it, trying to see it clearly in the dark cab, doing my best to read what it said between the flashes of lights from the lamp-posts outside.

Slowly, I made out the words 'Kang' and recalled the stranger who so oddly introduced herself to me with an unsettling smile.

I sat back and thought about what had happened. I certainly don't remember meeting an Adria Kang, whether she was a classmate from NYU or a client, but she seemed to know me - or rather, my name.

When the cab pulled over, it took me a minute to gather some change and give the fare to the driver.

Quickly, I hopped off the cab and made my way into the building, the card still in my hand and contemplating on whether I should call the stranger. For whatever reason, I don't know. I just want to know who they are and how they know me.

Once I'm on my floor, I take out my phone and begin dialling the number on the card as I make my way to my apartment door.

I balance my ringing phone between my ear and shoulder as I unlock my door. Once I get inside, I lock it and tuck my shoes in the cubby, throwing my coat on the hook.

"Clementine Ivers?" Adria Kang's familiar voice greets me rather suddenly and I'm stopped by surprise in the short hallway.

She sounds as though she knew I was going to call right this moment, steady and clear in her tone like she's rehearsed this a thousand times.

I furrow my brows and scrunch my face in confusion. "Uhm, yes, it is." I continue, making my way to the living room, leaning on the back of the couch and crossing my arms. "Do you have my number?"

"Do you currently have any affiliation with Luke Hemmings?" She asks instead like an automated machine, ignoring my previous question and talking as though she didn't hear me at all.

"What?" I'm confused as to how Luke suddenly became a part of the conversation. "Why are you asking?"

"Answer." She replies rather sharply and I feel like a student being scolded by a teacher. "Do you currently have any ties with Luke Hemmings?" She asks again and pauses, probably hearing my hesitation through the phone. "I assure you nothing you say will be of knowledge to anyone but the two of us,"