⁶¹it's alright in los angeles

clementine

I reach down for the envelope in front of my door. My door. How odd. It doesn't feel natural, but it still washes me with excitement.

I don't think I've fully processed that this is my flat, and I live here. Alone. And I live here alone in this city I have only been to three times before. Alone.

Upon arriving at my flat, a small white envelope was promptly waiting by the doorstep, its return address being Ackerman's New York P.O. box.

Seeing my name above my new address gives me an exhilarating rush. I live here now. I can't get enough of it.

I grab the door keys from my bag and carefully slip one of them into the keyhole, turning for what seems like an eternity as if what might reveal to me is a dungeon or a palace.

When I finally get it open, I push the door open and stare at the hallway leading in, my heart beating and beating and simply beating because I'm doing nothing else. This is mine, I think again, stood in wonder-struck stillness.

I gently rest Darth's carrier on the ground and look back at the envelope, re-reading my address over and over again as if I'm unwilling to believe it. I'm still so thrilled that it's true.

I press my lips to a thin smile and squeeze my eyes shut before a shrill squeal escapes me. This is my excitement spilling from me, in forms of unintelligible squeals and repetitive thoughts that once again remind me This is mine.

"You okay there?"

I grip the letter closer and make a sharp turn to where the interrupting voice came from.

Some ten feet away from my door, a woman is leaning against his door frame, eyes amused and quirked in question at me.

Her door has a welcome mat in front, cursive words greeting "hello". I should get one too, I take note.

"Oh, I'm sorry if I disturbed you," I timidly back away and chuckle. "I just — I'm just moving in, so... I'm pretty excited about it,"

Tanned skin contrasts against the pale peach door behind her, her short crimped hair hanging over one shoulder as if it's been freshly let down from a tight bun.

She dons a paint-stained dungaree over a white tank top, nods and smiles, looking back in her apartment and smirking. "Don't worry 'bout it, I was just wondering who sounded like a dying rat in the hallway,"

I feel a flush burn on my cheeks. "Oh... that's embarrassing. Sorry," I laugh it off and step towards her, stretching out my hand. "I suppose I'm your new neighbour then. I'm Clementine,"

She gives my hand a firm shake. "Hey, Clementine. I'm Natalie. Or just Nat, for short," She eyes my two suitcases and the cat carrier, raising two asking brows. "Where'd you move from?"

I sigh, having been reminded how exhausted I am after the flight. "New York. I, um, I brought my cat with me too," I point at Darth's carrier.

Nat gives a large smile at the news. "Oh my god, you did?" She gasps and I nod, turning the carrier and opening the latch. "What's his name?"

I rest the mail on my suitcase and take out Darth, petting him and showing him to Nat. "His name's Darth," I press a kiss on the side of his head before placing him in Nat's hands. "Here, hold. He's pretty tame,"

As Nat mutters sweet things to Darth, I take the time to place my luggage through my door, taking off my coat and placing it on top.

Seeing the flat still looks pretty strange. I'll have to go out to buy a bed, some kitchen appliances, food... "Hey, um, since I just moved in, I don't have any... anything," I chuckle awkwardly as Nat turns up to look at me. "And also since you live around here, I'm wondering if you could maybe take me to the furniture store... or something," I shrug. "I wanna get a bed, probably a toaster, bread, other things..."