⁵⁹rockers

clementine

I'm sat on the floor with the tv remote on one hand, leaning against the couch as I listen to Cameron try and convince me we should watch the whole Kung Fu Panda franchise.

"Cameron, we are not watching Kung Fu Panda again," I say, looking though the assortment of cartoon movies on Mara's Netflix account, shown on our tv with its dark mode and movie posters. "Swear to god, when we were roommates, Mara, he watched that movie almost every evening to, quote-unquote, de-stress from school,"

Cameron gasps from the other side of the room. "Hey! I was actually de-stressing! Watching Kung Fu Panda is the reason I have twenty-five percent less wrinkles,"

"And it's the reason I have twenty-five percent more wrinkles," I mutter back sassily.

Mara chortles, taking a slice from the cut pizza on our coffee table. "Please, you say that as if you didn't religiously listen to ABBA's anniversary edition album,"

I narrow my eyes at her,  blowing a raspberry. "Uhuh, and you loved it,"

She shrugs. "Mayhaps,"

"I propose Rockers," Cameron jumps over the couch and lounges behind me, speaking over my shoulder. "Five rounds,"

Rockers is a game Cam, Mara, Harish, and I created. Back when we'd just met, we'd watch movies every Saturday evening, often sleeping around three or four, or not sleeping at all — and since we'd often argue about what to watch and which ones to watch first, we made a little competition based off of rock, paper, scissor.

It starts with us pairing up and having separate games of rock, paper, scissor. Whoever loses has to pick which winner they want to side with, then the two winners play three rounds of rock paper, scissor, tallying up theirs and their teammate's scores from their previous games.

If you win by playing rock against scissors, then you get an extra point. Why rock specifically, I don't know.

Whoever has the most points wins at choosing the show or movie.

Instead of just agreeing to disagree, we made it fun. It's not convenient, but it's fun.

"It's settled. I play for binge-watching Outlander" I stretch out an open hand to him and he shakes it with a firm nod.

"I play for binge-watching Kung Fu Panda franchise,"

"I play for watching Bojack!" Harish shouts from the kitchen.

"But it's depressing!" Mara shouts back.

"Suck it!"

Cameron sits straight and hangs one leg off the couch. "Mar, what are you playing for?"

Mara shrugs, taking another slice of pizza and speaking through a stuffed mouth, "Avatar,"

Once Harish returns to the living room with two packs of Oreos and three cans of Pringles, he sits down by my side. "A'ight, let's do this. Clem, you against me. You know how good Cam is,"

Cameron laughs off the compliment and holds out a closed hand to Mara, her doing the same.

"On one, two, three," I say before we all start shaking our fists up and down in sync.

I hold out my flattened palm to form paper, playing against Harish's similar hand gesture, and we restart.

"One!" Cameron exclaims, declaring his first point against Mara.

"Shut the fuck up," Mara mutters, trying to focus.

I show my closed fist and am dismayed when Harish gives me paper, and I groan as he shouts out his first point.