CHAPTER 75

Isa gasped and stood up with a start. She found herself in an unfamiliar location until she calmed down and realized she was only in the Great Hall.

She turned to her side to see that Nolan was still asleep. Isa craned her neck and saw that Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny were also still asleep. Then unconsciously, her eyes traveled to a blonde-haired Slytherin. His face was facing her, and she smiled at how peaceful Draco Malfoy looked with his messy hair falling across his forehead, and the slight part of his lips.

"Isa!" Percy hissed when she saw her, sitting up in her sleeping bag. Isa frowned when she noticed she popped out like a mole in those Whack-A-Mole arcade games. "Go back to sleep!"

"Sorry," Isa whispered. "I had a nightmare."

The Hufflepuff couldn't get sleep for the rest of the night, and judging from the enchanted ceiling of the Great Hall, it was almost sunrise.

The school talked of nothing but Sirius Black for the next few days. The theories about how he had entered the castle became wilder and wilder. Hannah Abbott, a fellow Hufflepuff, told Nolan and Isa that the murderer could turn into a flowering shrub. The girl liked Hannah, she was sweet, but as soon as Isa heard that theory, she burst out laughing.

The Fat Lady's ripped canvas had been taken off the wall and replaced with the portrait of Sir Cadogan and his fat grey pony. Nobody was very happy about this. Isa heard all the stories of Sir Cadogan from Harry, Hermione, and Ron that he spent half his time challenging people to duels, and the rest thinking up ridiculously complicated passwords, which he changed at least twice a day.

"See," Isa pointed out. "This is another reason why Hufflepuff is better."

Sir Cadogan, however, was the least of Harry's worries. Both him and Isa were now being closely watched. Teachers found excuses to walk along corridors with them, and Percy Weasley (acting, the Potters suspected, on his mother's orders) were tailing them everywhere like an extremely pompous guard dog. To cap it all, Professor McGonagall summoned the Potters into her office, with such a somber expression on her face Harry thought someone must have died.

"There's no point hiding it from you any longer, Potters," she said in a very serious voice. "I know this will come as a shock to you, but Sirius Black⎼"

"We know he's after us," Harry said wearily.

"We heard Ron's dad telling his mom," Isa explained to McGonagall. "Mr. Weasley works for the Ministry of Magic."

Professor McGonagall seemed very taken aback. She stared at them for a moment or two, then said, "I see! Well, in that case, Potters, you'll understand why I don't think it's a good idea for you to be practicing Quidditch in the evenings. Out on the field with only your team members, it's very exposed, Potter⎼"

"We've got our first match on Saturday!" Harry said, outraged. "I've got to train, Professor!"

"I know I'm exceptionally good, Minnie," Isa teased, "but that doesn't mean I don't need to train!"

Professor McGonagall considered them intently. Isa knew Minnie was deeply interested in the Gryffindor team's prospects. It had been she, after all, who'd suggested Harry as Seeker in the first place. And she couldn't let Harry go without letting Isa off as well. That would seem unfair. The Potters waited, holding their breath.

"Hmm..." Professor McGonagall stood up and stared out of the window at the Quidditch field, just visible through the rain. "Well... goodness knows, I'd like to see us win the Cup at last... but all the same, Potters... I'd be happier if a teacher were present. I'll ask Madam Hooch to oversee your training sessions."