CHAPTER 29

When you think 'monster island', you think craggy rocks and bones scattered on the beach with dark clouds over head like the island of the Sirens.

The Cyclopes's island was the complete opposite. Okay, there was a rope bridge across a chasm, which was not a good sign. You might as well put up a billboard that said, SOMETHING EVIL LIVES HERE. But, except for that, the place looked like a Caribbean postcard. It had green fields and tropic fruit trees and white beaches. As they sailed towards the shore, Annabeth breathed in the sweet air. "The Fleece," She said.

Percy nodded. He couldn't see the Fleece yet, but he could still feel its power. He could believe it would heal anything, even Thalia's poisoned tree.

Isa frowned confused. "You only felt it now?"

"Uh... yeah," Percy said.

"You mean to tell me you felt it awhile ago?" Annabeth asked.

"Yeah. I felt it when you pointed to this island," Isa said with a sheepish grin.

"If we take it away, will the island die?" Percy asked.

Annabeth shook her head. "It'll fade. Go back to what it would be normally, whatever that is."

"Hey you're getting smarter!" Isa teased shoving Annabeth lightly. "Unless you already knew that, but I like to think the Sirens magic thingy is working."

Normally after something traumatic, you wouldn't joke about it for months and push it to the back of your head. But whenever Isa did it, it was funny, light-hearted and with good intentions—to brighten you up.

"Shut up," Annabeth muttered.

Isa felt a little guilty about ruining the paradise, but she reminded herself that they had no choice. Saving Camp Half-Blood over this paradise where a big, evil Cyclops lives. And Tyson... Tyson would still be with them if it wasn't for this quest.

In the meadow at the base of the ravine, several dozen sheep were milling around. They looked peaceful enough, but they were huge—the size of hippos. Just past them was a path that led up into the hills. At the top of the path, near the edge of the canyon, was the massive oak tree Isa'd seen in her dreams. Something gold glittering in its branches.

"This is too easy," Percy said. "We could just hike up there and take it."

"Yeah we could," Isa deadpanned. "Watch me."

Annabeth pulled the girl by the back of her shirts, stopping her from continuing. "There's supposed to be a guardian. A dragon or..."

That's when a deer emerged from the bushes. It trotted into the meadow, probably looking for grass to eat, when the sheep all bleated at once and rushed the animal. It happened so fast that the deer stumbled and was lost in a sea of wool and trampled hooves.

Grass and tufts of fur flew into the air.

A second later the sheep all moved away, back to their regular peaceful wandering. Where the deer had been was a pile of clean wide bones.

Percy and Annabeh exchanged looks while Isa stood there frozen in her spot, mouth agape and eyes wide.

Isa didn't know if she should find it funny that the guardian is a herd of sheep.

She turned around and moved her head closer to them, whispering loudly, "They're like piranhas."

"Piranhas with wool," Percy said. "How will we—"

"Percy! Isa!" Annabeth gasped, grabbing Percy's arm and slapping Isa, unfortunately in the face.

"Ow! Stop!" Isa said grabbing Annbeth's wrist.