CHAPTER 33

"One on one challenge," Percy challenged Luke. "What are you afraid of?"

Isa looked at her brother, stunned. 'One on one'? That meant either him vs Luke or Isa vs Luke. But why the way he was talking she was sure he meant him vs Luke. Isa didn't know what to think. She knew Luke was a good fighter, so she wasn't sure if Percy would be able to defeat him. She had faith in him though.

Luke curled his lip. The soldiers who were about to kill them, hesitated, waiting for his order.

Before he could say anything, Agrius, the bear-man burst onto the deck leading a flying horse with another one flying behind him. It was the first pure-black pegasus Isa and Percy had ever seen, with wings like a giant raven. The other pegasus was light brown with a white strip going down from its forehead to muzzle. The pegasi mare bucked and whinnied. Isa could understand their thoughts. They were calling Agrius and Luke some names so bad Chiron would've washed their muzzle out with saddle soap.

"Sir!" Agrius called, dodging a pegasus hood. "Your steed is ready!"

Luke kept his eyes on the siblings.

"I told you last summer, Percy," he said. "You can't bait me into a fight."

"And you keep avoiding one," Isa noticed. "Scared your warriors will see you get whipped?"

Luke glanced at his men, and he saw Isa had trapped him. If he backed down now, he would look weak. If he fought Percy, he'd lose valuable time chasing after Clarisse. For Percy's part, the best he could hope for was to distract him, giving his friends a chance to escape. If anybody could think of a plan to get them out of there, Annabeth could. On the downside, he knew that Isa would never leave him alone, and he knew how good Luke was at sword-fighting. The only person who could outdo him was Isa.

"I'll kill you quickly," he decided, and raised his weapon. Backbiter was a foot longer than Percy's own sword. Its blade glinted with an evil grey-and-white light where the human steel had been blended with celestial bronze. Isa could almost feel the blade fighting against itself, like two opposing magnets bound together. She didn't know how the blade had been made, but Isa sensed a tragedy. Someone had died in the process. Luke whistled to two of his men. One threw him a round leather-and-bronze shield while the other dragged Isa back to where Annabeth and Grover were, stopping her from helping Percy.

Isa wanted to help, she knew how good of a fighter Luke was. All she could do was pray to the gods that they help Percy.

Luke grinned at Percy wickedly.

"Luke," Annabeth said, "at least give him a shield."

"Sorry, Annabeth," He said. "You bring your own equipment to this party."

Isa didn't care if Percy had a shield or not. In fact, Isa was happy he didn't have a shield. Shields were problems. Fighting two-handed with just a sword gives you more power, but fighting one-handed with a shield gives you better defence and versatility. There are more moves, more options, more ways to kill. But Isa knew Percy never got that much training with fighting one-handed, so if he fought with a shield, that would give him a disadvantage.

Luke lunged and almost killed Percy on the first try. Luke's sword went under his arm, slashing through his shirt and grazing his ribs. Isa tried to step in, but Annabeth grabbed her wrist.

Percy jumped back, then counter-attacked with Riptide, but Luke slammed Percy's blade away with his shield.

"My, Percy," Luke chided. "You're out of practice. I'm sure your sister would've been a more fun opponent."

He came at Percy again with a swipe to the head. Unfortunately, Percy ducked but stood up just as Luke finished his swing. When Luke noticed, he swung his sword back, cutting Percy in the torso. Percy hissed in pain and collapsed. As Percy was in pain in the floor, Luke pointed the tip of his sword at Percy's throat.