CHAPTER 73

In no time at all, Defense Against the Dark Arts had become most people's favorite class. Only Draco and his gang of Slytherins had anything bad to say about Professor Lupin.

"Look at the state of his robes," Draco would say in a loud whisper as Professor Lupin passed. "He dresses like our old house-elf."

But no one else cared that Professor Lupin's robes were patched and frayed. His next few lessons were just as interesting as the first. After boggarts, the two years had their own classes again. The third years focused more on beasts while the second years focused more on spells. They learned Expelliarmus which can disarm your opponent (Isa made sure to remember this as it can be very useful especially in battle, though she sort of doubted if it would work on Celestial Bronze), Petrificus Totalus which was a full-body bind curse, Cascading Jinx which attacks multiple opponents in close proximity to each other, and a lot more.

Needless to say, Isa was deeply intrigued by Defense Against the Dark Arts this year, and she was good at not only practical but also theory. She didn't really know how she got the theory part⎼to her it was just common sense⎼or maybe it's because she actually knows how it works because of all the fighting she's done.

However, word about Isa facing her boggart spread around school. There would be whispers and murmurs whenever she would pass by. Harry talked to her after she left her hiding spot by the Black Lake. Professor Lupin also asked to meet her in his classroom during lunch, so that's where she is now.

"Professor Lupin?" Isa called out as she entered the empty classroom.

"In here!" a voice coming from the office shouted. Isa made her way up and knocked. When she heard a, 'come in!', she pushed the door open.

"You called me?" she asked.

"Take a seat." Professor Lupin motioned to the chair.

"Whatever happened, I didn't do," Isa said quickly as she sat down. "But I'm not a snitch, so yes, I did it."

Professor Lupin turned around with a chuckle. "Don't worry, you're not in trouble."

Isa visibly relaxed in her chair, "What do you need me for then?"

"I just wanted to talk with you. Tea?"

"Uh." Isa looked at the teapot and teacups with a puzzled expression. She has never drank tea in her life before. "No, I'm good."

"How are you?"

Isa eyed him as if he grew two heads. "Fantastic."

"I was planning on talking to you right after our first lesson actually," Professor Lupin told her as he took a seat behind his desk. "But I figured you would need time for yourself."

Isa tilted her head in confusion before it hit her. "Oh. The boggart."

"Yes. Though I don't exactly know what your fear is, I'm quite surprised that it wasn't⎼"

"Voldemort?" Isa asked.

"Yes, but no." Professor Lupin shook his head. "I was expecting your brother's to be Voldemort seeing as how you wouldn't remember much. You, on the other hand, I was expecting yours to be a little bit more... like the students in your brother's year."

"You mean giant spiders, mummies, and banshees?"

"Precisely. In all my life I don't think I've met two children with well⎼not that it's childish⎼but non-childish fears."

Isa saw his point. He didn't mean that they were irrational, he meant that the students were innocent. They haven't been exposed to the real world. Sort of similar to how kids get scared that there's a monster hiding under their bed or in their closet, or how kids get scared of 'boogeyman'.