Chapter 34

Alessia POV

"Honey let's take a picture before everyone gets here," my mom called me over.

It was Christmas Eve. The night of the company party my dad had to put on every year. We rented the same hotel ballroom and had boring conversation with stuffy people. My parents hated it as much as I did. My dad wasn't the type to be flashy and host events. But it made the investors happy. The investors like Damien's dad. The two people here who once made this event somewhat bearable hated my guts. So this should be fun.

I picked up my skirt and walked up the steps to meet my mom. My mom stood at the top of the balcony level that circled the room. She was dressed in a detailed burgundy gown. Lace decorated the corset top and made its ways up to the neckline that brushed up to her collarbones. Long flowing sleeves and a tulle layered skirt worked well with the bodice to flatter my moms figure. She stood at top of the steps, radiating confidence. "You look great, Mom," I smiled as I took a place by her side.

"You're one to talk. Look at you, I can't compete," she laughed before turning to call over my dad. I had decided to wear an emerald slip dress ending right above my ankle. It was more simple than my mom's, but in my case simple was better. It was made from a silky fabric and hung well down my body. Even though my mom hated the event itself, she loved the pictures that came from it. Every year we stood at the top of the stairs, in front of the wooden doors that led to an outdoor balcony that was always decorated with greenery for Christmas. The lights were also a nice touch.

"Smile," the photographer said as we had gathered in front of her camera. "Perfect. Y'all make such a beautiful family."

"Thank you," my dad said. He then headed off to help with the last minute tasks. It was five minutes til the guests arrived. And my soul left my body.

"You better save me a dance," my mom teased me. She stood behind me and put her arms around my shoulders, her head resting on my neck. The heels she was wearing made her taller than me causing her to lean down a little.

"Of course," I nodded as I put my hands on hers.

"Are you sure you are up to it this year?" She asked as she continued to hold me. "I understand if you want to leave early. I'll tell everyone you aren't feeling well."

"I'm fine," I pulled away to face her. "Really, I am," I assured her after she sighed.

"Okay, but if you change your mind..."

"I will come straight to you," I nodded. "Go ahead. People are starting to come in." She looked over me for a second longer before making her way back down the steps. As she greeted the guests, I made my way to the refreshment table.

"I'll get that for you," a voice said as I went to pour a glass of punch. A hand came down to meet mine. I looked up to see Cat standing in a silver gown. Her blonde hair was neatly done. Makeup bold as usual.

"Thanks," I took the punch from her with an awkward smile.

"Go ahead. I deserve it," she closed her eyes.

"Deserve what?" I asked, very confused.

"Slap me. Curse me out. Pull my hair. Anything, I deserve whatever you throw at me. And then some."

"You aren't wrong," I crossed my arms. "What changed your tune, huh? Now you like me." Two months ago she hated me enough to humiliate me.

"I've always liked you. I just-," she sighed. The Cat that stood before me was not what I was used to. Her normal confidence looked shrunken down. She seemed almost, nervous. Did I see guilt on her face? "I know this probably means absolute bullshit to you, but I'm sorry. For a lot of things. What I've said. What I've done, what I let my brother do. It was all messed up, but I let it happen because I was too caught up in myself."