Chapter 24

Alessia POV

An hour and a half later, I pulled into a parking space in front of a sign that said El Parral Mexican Family Restaurant.

"We're here," I said, unbuckling my seatbelt. I opened my door and climbed out, waiting him to do the same. He followed me into the restaurant and we waited for a hostess.

"How many?" A teen girl came up to us, menus in hand.

"Two, please," I smiled. She led us to a booth, setting down two menus for us.

"Your server will be right with you," she nodded at us.

"Oh wait," I stopped her from leaving. "Can you tell Rosa that Alessia is here? She'll know who I am." The girl nodded hesitantly, before disappearing into the kitchen.

"So?" Jonathan looked up at me over his menu.

"So what?"

"Are you going to tell me what this is about?" He laughed. It was nice to hear it after yesterday. Jonathan seemed to be in better spirits, but wouldn't meet my eyes much. That could also be from the position I put us into morning, which I tried to forget about.

"We are having lunch," I smiled back. He rolled his eyes as I continued. "You brought me to your favorite place when I was upset, so I'm bringing you to mine."

"A Mexican restaurant two hours from Houston?"

"Yep." I turned back to my menu. The comfortable silence that fell over us didn't last very long when a loud voice filled the restaurant.

"Alessia!" I turned to see a familiar face bust through the kitchen doors. A short Latino woman walked towards us, her long black hair that matched mine pulled into a bun. My abuela, Rosa Vera.

"Abuela," I hopped out of the booth and ran over to her.

"¿Qué estás haciendo aquí?" She pulled me into a tight hug. "¿Es ese tu novio?" (What are you doing here? Is that your boyfriend.) Abuela smiled slyly at me as she stole glances at Jonathan.

"No. Abuela, this is my friend, Jonathan," I shot a look at her.

"Hello, very handsome friend, Jonathan," she smiled.

"Hello, ma'am. I'm guessing you are Mr. Vera's mom," he smiled back at her, a blush rising on his cheeks.

"Yes, I am. I wish Alessia would have told me she was bringing a friend," she wiggled her eyebrows at me, "I would have made something special for you two. Just order anything you want. It's on the house."

"Are you sure, ma'am? I can pay." Jonathan tried to refuse.

"No, I won't have it. Don't think about taking back to me either," she pointed a teasing finger at Jonathan. "Anything for Alessia and her handsome friend." Abuela walked off into the kitchen after we gave her our orders.

"Your grandma is sweet," he smiled.

"That's one way to put it," I laughed.

"So this is where your mom worked? Your family's restaurant?"

"Yep. I spent a lot of afternoons after preschool here. We moved to Houston when I was in elementary," I explained.

"It's great here. I can see why you love it."

"The food is even better, trust me." As if on cue, Abuela brought out our plates and placed them in front of us.

"Have a good lunch," she smiled. "With a smile like that he is a keeper," she whispered in my ear, before strutting off.