I don't need a babysitter

*a few days later*

Emily had finally got the hang of how the unit ran things around here, she seemed to be learning things from Voight and observing her teammates when they find themselves in a tricky situation, she now knew that she wasn't to interfere with anything her boss done, right or wrong.

"We've got a case, gang wars..." hank sighed and put some pictures up in the board. They all paid close attention to the details but Emily couldn't help noticing the change of mood that was now plastered across her partners face, it was a mix of anger, sadness and guilt all in one. "The Latin players have been making digs at a rival gang all week, that was until the enemy retaliated back. Now we've got a series of shootings flooding from across the city" hank added. They all nodded, "Taylor, Halstead. I want you two to stop by the corner shop on 112th street, they have security footage, maybe someone saw something" he waved them out.

Jay stood up and barged past Emily making her step back a little, "move it" he snapped which made Emily confused. Kim quietly walked over to her, "it's a personal thing, you didn't do anything wrong don't worry" she whispered. Emily nodded in worry for her partner before following him out, she didn't wanna keep him waiting any longer. She hopped in the passenger side of jays SUV and he immediately started the car the second she closed the door. The drive was silent until they pulled up outside of the store and jay huffed, "you okay?" She smiled at him. Jay avoided eye contact with her, "I'm fine, just focus on the case" he sighed before getting out of the car. She nodded and followed him out, she just wanted to understand his thoughts but she didn't wanna force him into talking to her, after all he still wasn't talking to her much on a daily basis, the only things they would talk about were work or a peace offering of coffee.

When they gathered a witness statement and collected a copy of the security footage hank asked them to get they got back into jays SUV, the silence wasn't totally awkward, it was just painfully bitter. She let jay deal with whatever he was dealing with by not speaking. Jay noticed her silence and looked over to her a few times when she wasn't looking, even when she had nothing to smile about she would still have the slightest smile on her face, he felt bad for snapping at her but he was just struggling with the case. He also noticed her features, they were distinct but captivating, she had long, brown wavy hair with light blue eyes that were close enough to grey. As for her body he didn't really know, when she wasn't wearing a t shirt at work she would be wearing a hoodie which was probably a size bigger then she should be wearing, but he could tell she was toned from her arms and legs when she walked up the stairs or arresting an offender.

"Three groups of kids all aged between 19-22 fired shots at Garfield park, they killed two kids and three adults. The video was posted online for rival gangs to see. They don't wanna kill the enemy, they just wanna prove who's got a bigger ego" jay sighed and placed CCTV footage stamps on the board. Emily nodded and carried on, "yeah the facial rec only matched an ID for 8 of the boys but if we manage to get them off the street the chances of at least one of them talking is fairly reasonable" she put her arms out. Hank nodded, "alright, nice work. Ruzek, burgess you two start gathering up information on their whereabouts, if we don't manage to get all 8 then at least 3 would be enough" he ordered. The rest of the unit continued looking for leads on the shootings, Emily watched carefully as her partner got up and walked into the break room.

She paused for a moment before getting up and smiling at the rest of the unit, of course they couldn't help but return one back as she walked into the break room, "hey, you sure you're okay?" She stood next to jay and smiled. He shot his head in her direction, "I'm fine, really" he nodded and spoke calmly. Emily watched in sadness as her partner walked out of the break room, it hurt that he was pushing her away but she understood that he was taking the case personally even if she didn't know why. She sighed and walked back out into the bullpen with the usual smile and chuckle when someone said something funny. Jay was just staring at his desk saying nothing and reacting to no one.