why're you here?

*one week later*

Jay was stood at the bar in mollys just minding his own business, Emily was in the restroom with Kim since they needed to fix their hair or whatever girls do in the bathroom for them to take so long, he was waiting on Stella to serve him a beer but he didn't mind waiting, it was a busy night tonight. He was snapped out of his thoughts by a familiar voice, but he didn't want to turn around, he couldn't....

"Hey..." the familiar voice hummed sweetly. It sent shivers up his spine, "Erin?" He eventually turned around. When he saw her face he froze, she's changed a lot. She now has darker brown hair which is a lot longer, she's a little taller from the heeled boots she had on and she looks a lot more human from when he saw her last. It looks like she isn't holding onto any of her past ghosts anymore, there looks to be no more stress in her life.

"What're you doing here?" He grit his teeth, she smiled weakly. "I'm visiting, just thought I'd stop by and see everyone before I go see hank" she shrugged. She had a smile on her face, almost as if she was glad to see him, but that wasn't the case for jay. "It's been a long time..." she laughed slightly and stepped closer. Jay furrowed his brows and stepped back, "it has been a long time, and a lots changed..." he corrected her so she wouldn't get the wrong impression but by the looks of it she already had. She laughed slightly, "oh come on, don't pretend we had nothing going for us" she raised her eyebrow. Jay was in an awkward position here, he's engaged now, but Erin doesn't know that.

He shook his head and let out a heavy sigh, himself and Erin did have a thing going for them, they had a lot going for them. Hell, he was going to propose to her. But that was then and this is now, and nothing is the same anymore. He shook his head, "I know that Erin, but that was a long time ago, and things are different now" he looked around but no one seemed to have noticed her presence. She smiled, "things can't have changed that much" she laughed. Jay gave her a disapproving look since she was moving closer to him, "we had a good thing jay, and if it wasn't for my mom, we'd probably be married by now" she smiled and took his hand in hers.

It all happened so quick, one second she was stood about a meter away from him, then she was right against him, now his hand is unwillingly in hers and she was reaching up for his face. Without warning she pressed a gentle kiss onto his lips, it took him a second to realise what was going on before he shot his eyes open and immediately pushed her away...

"You seriously have to play that song at your wedding" Kim laughed as herself and Emily made their way through the hallway again. Emily laughed, "oh you bet I will, can you picture Adam and Kevin dancing to it?" She smirked. Kim shook her head and laughed, "that'd be traumatising" she threw her head back. Emily suddenly stopped at the door whereas Kim continued walking, the happy mood she just had a second ago was now completely abolished. Her face dropped and a lump formed in the back of her throat as tears threatened to spill, "em?" Kim stopped walking and turned to look at her friend. Emily shook her head as she saw her fiancé stood at the bar with another woman's lips on his.

Kim looked in the direction Emily was staring and unconsciously gasped out loud, "Emily..." she reached out for Emily's hand. Emily shook her head and backed up, "em..." Kim reached for her hand again. Kim knew exactly who was kissing jay, it was Erin, Erin lindsay who had disappeared without a word to anyone a long time ago. Emily let out a shaky breath, "I'm gonna go" she nodded and continued to leave mollys bar throughout the back door, "em don't..." Kim called out, but before the younger officer could say anything else, Emily was gone. Kim returned to the doorway to now see Erin and jay stood at least 2 meters away from each other. Jay looked around frantically at the people who surrounded him, but no one seemed to have watched other than Kim...

He met eyes with Kim and shook his head, Emily was with Kim, where's Emily? Did she see? Does she know it wasn't his fault? Where's Emily? He was lost for words, "you can't deny what we had jay..." Erin grabbed her purse. He shot his head in her direction and shook his head in confusion, but before he could say his peace, the woman he used to love, left the bar in a hurry. He quickly left the bar area and jogged over to Kim, "where's Emily?" He spoke shakily. Kim shot him a disgusted glare, "oh she left, maybe because she just saw her fiancé kissing somebody else..." she scoffed. Jay huffed in defeat, "it wasn't like that, erin kissed me, I was pushing her away. Where's Emily?" He looked around. Kim was on the fence on wether to believe him, if it was an unknown woman she probably would have, but it was erin, and the two have a lot of history so she can't believe him.

"I don't know, she just left..." she nodded to the back door but before she could say anything else he was running out of the back door himself.  Once he was in the mollys parking lot he was lost, his truck was still there which meant wherever Emily has wandered off to, she's walked on foot.  Worry flooded his mind, not only was her scared that she had the wrong impression in her mind, he was scared that she was alone at night in Chicago.  He shook his head and got into his truck before slowly making his way through the nearby streets, he searched everywhere but no matter where he looked she was nowhere to be seen. 

               Emily on the other hand was walking along navy pier already, it didn't take her long to get there and she was in desperate need of quiet.  What just happened? She just saw the love of her life with another woman whom she didn't know... Does he hate her? Does he not love her anymore? She wiped the stray tears away as she picked up her pace, it was freezing cold and she only had a thin denim jacket on.  Not to mention the dress and heels she had on which meant she was completely exposed to the harsh air of Chicago.  She decided that she couldn't wander forever so she decided to go home, she knew she'd have to face jay eventually.

After an hour of driving around chicago he was torn, she wasn't anywhere he could think of and it was starting to rain. He could only pray she was somewhere safe, but as of now, he was sat in his truck just taking in everything that happened. He got out of his car and started walking towards the door, he took a deep breath and opened it. The lights were off, but he had a feeling someone was home. He kicked off his boots and hung his jacket up before putting his phone in his back pocket and walking towards the kitchen. He flicked the light on and let out a heavy sigh, but when he stopped rubbing his face and opened his eyes he saw Emily sat at the kitchen table with her back to him. He froze, she looked stressed from the way she was sitting.

"Who was it?" Emily broke the ice. He closed his eyes shut but stayed where he was, "it's not what it looked like..." he started but she cut him off, "who was it?" She asked again, but this time she had a lot more hurt in her voice. He shook his head, "Erin, that was Erin. She came back to visit, and she took it too far..." his voice was trembling. He couldn't bear the thought of hurting Emily, she's too pure for that and even though he knows he's telling the truth, he doesn't know how he'll get her to believe that.

"But, you two kissed..." she kept her back to him. Jay shook his head, "she kissed me, I told her things were different at least three times, but she still kissed me em. I didn't want her to, I pushed her away, I did not kiss her..." he moved so he could see her better. She slowly looked up at him with glassy eyes, "do you still love her?" She kept a straight face. Jay furrowed his brows, "what- no, of course not..." he shook his head. She nodded weakly, "okay..." she looked down again, still circling the brim of the coffee mug she was holding. Jay crouched down so he could see her face, "Emily, please look at me..." he grabbed her hand.

She eventually lifted her head up to look at him, "I did not kiss Erin, I promise you that now. And I do not love her, yes there's a lot of history between me and her, but that's long gone. I have zero feelings for her, you Emily, are the only one I love, okay? Nobody else..." he squeezed her shaking hand. She let a tear fall down her face, "you have to trust in me" he nodded as his own tears threatened to spill. She closed her eyes and let out the breath she was holding, "I do trust you..." she nodded. He let out his own sigh of relief and stood up to pull her into his hug, "I would never go behind your back like that, ever..." he whispered into her hair. She nodded and closed her eyes, of course he wouldn't. But why is Erin even here?