Hey pretty lady!

*four months later*

                  "Em?" Jay wandered into the locker room since he'd searched the whole precinct and could not find her anywhere.  He furrowed his brows when he saw Emily and Kim sat on the bench chatting away, "what's so funny?" He folded his arms and leant against the locker.  Emily looked up and smiled like usual, "nothing much, just looking at old photos" Kim laughed. He raised his eyebrows challengingly, "okay... well unfortunately I need to pry em from you" he smiled. Kim sighed before nodded for Emily to leave. The brunette stood up and walked over to her boyfriend, "hank wants us to pick up a witness" he smiled and brushed a loose strand of hair out of her face. She smiled, "let's go then" she raised an eyebrow.

                 "Is this it?" Emily looked at jay with raised eyebrows, "apparently so" jay sighed and got out of the truck.  Emily followed suit and followed him around the side of the truck before crossing the road side by side.  She let out a heavy sigh when she saw the amount of shattered glass on the floor, it was like people didn't care anymore, almost as if they had branded the streets with their litter. Jay approached the tatty looking apartment complex and turned to face his partner, "I'll go inside while you keep watch?" He opposed. Emily nodded, "sure" she smiled. She let out a shaky sigh as jay left to go find this witness, she folded her arms and looked around, it was like a ghost town, or so she thought.

                 "Hey pretty lady!" a whistle sounded out from behind her.  She turned her head to the side to see a group of men stood in a parking lot not too far away from her, "great" she sighed but ignored them.  Jay was taking a seriously long time and she was starting to get really annoyed with the unnecessary cat calling, "come over to my place baby! I'll keep the door open for you..." another whistle blew through the air.  She rolled her eyes and flicked them off, "calm down hot mama, it was only an invitation" the man added.  She groaned and turned her back to them again in hopes they would get the gist. 

                 "Look at that ass, geez!" Another man yelled.  She felt so uncomfortable and unsafe that she had to move closer to the wall, "ready" jay appeared with the witness who looked shy and timid, she looked about 18 at the most.  Emily looked over her shoulder at the men before following jay across the road, "shake it babygirl!" The man called over again.  Emily ran her hands over her face as jay stopped in his tracks, "are they talking to you?" He turned to face Emily once the witness was in the backseat of his truck.  Emily sighed, "just leave it jay, they've been at it for 10 minutes" she rolled her eyes.  Jay frowned, it's sad that these things are normalised when they're actually disgusting.  He shot the men disgusted glares before getting into the vehicle too.  If Emily had let him, he would've gone over to them and put them in their place, but she didn't, so he didn't.

Later that night Emily looked deep in thought, she was replaying the days events in her mind. From the continuation of catcalling this morning, to nearly getting shot, to hank telling everyone off for nearly letting a suspect get away, it had been stressful to say the least. Jay walked into the kitchen and grabbed two beers, he then returned to the couch and took his seat again, "what's up?" He frowned. Emily shrugged, "just thinking" she leant against his arm again. He rubbed her arm soothingly, "about?" He looked down at her. She let out a heavy sigh, "I don't know, just everything. I mean, from those guys earlier today, then nearly taking a bullet, oh and obviously voight saying his peace. I don't know, I guess I've just never really realised what we actually deal with" she shrugged again.

"You can't really think too much into things, with our job, it's all we know and it's all we're ever gonna know. Don't let it take it's toll, that's when you start to burn out..." he traced shapes on her upper arm. She grabbed his hand supportively, "do you ever get worried? About our job? You know, all of the misconduct stories on the news, I just wonder what it must be like to be in that position" she sighed. Jay rubbed her arm, "I shot a little girl once" he started, this wasn't something he opens up about much, but this is the love of his life, so screw it. Emily looked up at him, "We were in a fire fight, bullets flying everywhere. And the rest of the unit were moving around the front. We all thought it was an abandoned building but it turns out it was an illegal daycare centre, i shot a bullet right through the door and it hit her, it hit her right in the chest" he shook his head.

"Jay..." she squeezed his hand, "no, I wanna tell you. So uh, she didn't make it in the end, and I'll always remember seeing her mom after it happened, and when I gave her the necklace back, I felt this guilt and anger inside of me, but even though the press dropped the accusations against me, you know the racism reports, I couldn't even allow myself to feel the relief. It's a tricky thing, but every cop'll face at least one case..." he smiled weakly. She smiled back, "thanks for telling me" she laid her head down on his lap. He smiled, "all I'm saying is, don't stress about it, that's how bad things start happening" he stroked her hair out of the way. She smiled back and sipped on her beer, he always knows what to say...