Hooyah

The team had decided not to go to mollys tonight, other than jay and Emily who had decided to go alone.  When they got there it was fairly quiet, other then a few doctors and firefighters it was only them there.  They sat down at the units usual table as Hermann handed them both a beer when they walked in.  "So you have a military background?" Emily smiled at him as they sat opposite each other.  Jay smiled curiously, "how'd you know?" He laughed a little, Emily smiled, "Antonio told me you served but I didn't snoop around so I left the questioning" she smiled and looked down. Jay smiled, "it's alright, and yeah I do. Rangers" he nodded. Emily looked back up to him and nodded, "which battalion?" She smiled curiously.

Jay was curious at how she knew about battalions since ordinary people didn't really seem to know much about the military, "3rd and 75th" he answered curiously. Emily smiled and nodded at his confusion, "my friend was in the 2nd battalion, 75th too", she lost her smile a little. Jay frowned, "was?" He spoke calmly. Emily nodded, "yeah, she died in action before I got deployed" she smiled sadly. Jay nodded sadly but clicked onto what she said at the end, "I'm sorry to hear that, you said deployed?" He spoke in shock as his voice cracked a little. Emily laughed slightly as his tone changed, "yeah, naval aviation" she smiled. Jay raised his eyebrows, "hooyah" he smiled. Emily laughed, she liked how he knew the battle cry.

Jay looked at her curiously, "which branch? No wait, let me guess..." he corrected himself. Emily smiled and watching his face move around in thought, "maritime?" He tilted his head, Emily smiled but shook her head so he thought once more, "fleet?" He guessed again. Emily chuckled at his eagerness but stepped in after realising they'd be there all night if he kept guessing, "close but not quite. Anti-surface warfare" she smiled.  Jay raised his eyebrows, "wow, I did not expect that, how long?" He smiled. "8 years, but only 5 of them were actually spent flying jets. You?" She smiled back. Jay laughed a little, "not as long as that, only a few years before I joined the academy" he nodded. Emily smiled as he smiled back at her.

"So Taylor, background check. Where you from?" He changed the subject since he knew from experience talking about time over seas would be difficult, for both of them. Emily laughed, "Chicago born and raised, what about you?" She took a sip from her beer for the first time in a while. Jay done the same, "Chicago too, then Afghanistan and back to chi-town to join the academy. Did you enlist straight after high school?" He smiled. Emily nodded, "yeah I did, it was more of running away from home type of move" she laughed nervously hoping jay wouldn't question her about it.  Jay smiled sadly, "yeah I feel ya" he took a sip from his beer, Emily smiled at him.  Maybe they had more in common then they thought even though they still didn't know much about each other. 

                  "Family?" She smiled at him.  Jay nodded and laughed, "sure sure sure, I've got my brother will and that's it. I'm sure you'll see him at med some time soon, you really can't miss him" he laughed while referring to his ginger hair.  Emily laughed too, she suspected that he was talking about his facial features or something since she noticed the small ginger tint of jays stubble.  "You?" He smiled and placed his beer down, Emily smiled but grit her teeth, "just my dad..." she sighed.  Jay noticed her change in mood, "does he live in Chicago?" He smiled weakly.  Emily smiled slightly but nodded, "yeah..." she looked down.  Jay sensed that it wasn't all fairytales and rainbows during her childhood from her flinching yesterday and now the avoidance of talking about her dad, but he didn't push and decided to let it go for now. 

                   "Well I'm assuming you've got a boyfriend at least?" He raised his eyebrows, Emily sat back in her chair and laughed, "I don't actually, I bet you have a girl though" she smiled.  Jay leant back in his chair and matched her energy before laughing, "I don't so I guess that makes us both lonely losers huh?" He joked.  Emily sat back up and chuckled before finishing the rest of her beer off, "pretty much" she answered with a grin.  Jay smiled back, he could swear that every time she smiled or laughed it casted a spell on everyone since she automatically made their moods lighten up.  "God it's this late already?" She looked down at her phone.  Jay checked his watch and also was taken aback, they had been sat chatting away with each other for 2 hours and it was now 10:30pm.  They both laughed and slipped off their stools so they were now stood up.

                  Emily was about to place some cash onto the table for her beer but jay stopped her, "it's on me" he smiled.  Emily tilted her head, "jay..." she started but he cut her off, "no I mean it, take it as a simple thank you" he smiled.  Emily kept her head on a slant and smiled at him warmly, they were finally bonding as partners and she hoped they were friends too but she didn't really know.  "I'll see you tomorrow" she smiled and waved as they both got into their cars, "you too" he shouted back which made her laugh.  She drove home and luckily slept the whole nice this time, just as jay did, he slept like a baby.