chapter eighteen: bruised banana

"Honey, I'm home!"

"Rory! You're bac- wait, why the fuck do you look like a bruised banana? What the hell happened? Who did this to you? I will-"

"Okay, Borky. Calm the fuck down. One, 'bruised banana', seriously? Two, I told you I was going on a mission, dude. Shit happens."

Aurora shrugged as if it was nothing and then cursed herself as a sharp pain shot up her shoulders and arms. Bucky seemed weary as he approached her.

He gently grabbed her hands with both of his and led her to the sofa where he helped her sit down comfortably before disappearing into the bathroom.

"Where are you off, Buckaroo?"

"Just shut up and sit down!" His voice called back.

"Not this 100-year-old man trying to tell me what to do." Rory mumbled to herself and got up (painfully) from her seat and hobbled into the bathroom where Bucky was searching frantically for the first aid kit (she didn't tell him that she moved it into the kitchen for easier access after someone bled out on the couch).

"It's in the kitchen." Her voice came from behind him, startling him. He jumped in air like a frightened cat and Aurora stifled her laughter, leaning onto the doorframe for support.

"I told you to stay sat down!" Bucky frowned, grabbing her shoulders and leading her back to the sofa.

"And I ignored you." She rolled her eyes.

"I noticed." He sighed and made his way into the kitchen, searching the cupboards. "Also, you really need to go grocery shopping again. I ate all the food while you were gone."

"Seriously! I was gone for like 3 days!"

"Okay? I had to eat."

"Next time, you can starve."

"Shut up." He had finally gotten his hands on the first aid kit and immediately got on his knees in front of the couch, ready to clean Rory's wounds.

"I can do it myself, you know." She muttered as he got to work on a small cut on her left cheek with metal his hand holding her other (very bruised) cheek to keep her steady.

"No way. I won't let you ruin this beautiful face of yours."

If his comment affected her, she didn't let it show. In fact, he's not even sure she heard him with the way she was staring off into space.

"Rora." He nudged her. Her head snapped towards him, her cheeks flushed a faint pink.

"Did you just call me 'Rora'?" She stuttered.

"Yes? Oh, do you not want me to-"

"No! It's okay. Its just...nobody's ever called me that."

And as corny as it sounds, Aurora didn't quite realise how close their faces were until his bright blue eyes were inches way from her grey ones.

"You have pretty eyes." She blurted and just like that, he backed away, letting his hands fall into his lap as they both laughed, the tension in the air lifting as if it wasn't even there.

"Borky, why are you manhandling me?"

"I'm not-" He sighed. "You were having a nightmare."

It was 4am, Aurora realised, looking at the clock on the bedside table. Bucky had insisted that since she was injured, she would sleep on the bed and he would take the couch that night.

'a nightmare?'

"Oh."

She the noticed the sheets strewn around her as if she had been thrashing around and how her swollen cheeks were damp.

"Oh."

"It's okay, you didn't wake me up." Bucky tried to comfort her, seeing as she seemed a little embarrassed.

"You were already awake? What happened?" Only Rory could turn something about her back around to him.

"Bad dreams. Nothing new." He shrugged and she nodded.

"You want to make hot chocolate?" She suggested.

He contemplated it for a second and at the sight of her puppy eyes, he caved.

"Ooh! We can watch a movie, to catch you up on the 21st century!" She suggested, her eyes sparkling and her body glowing faintly.

"Like a documentary?"

"No! 'Mean Girls'."

And that's how they woke up the next morning. Legs tangled together awkwardly on the sofa with '10 Things I Hate About You' playing on the TV as Bucky snored loudly and Rory buried her head under a pillow.

a/n it's 12am and i have school tomorrow but i had to update. so, here we are.

short but cute chapter? enjoy.

visual representation of rory (and all of us, im sure) falling for bonky

also, i realised i only showed what rory looked like in like the first chapter? so, if you forgot, here she is

her face claim is amelia zadro!

anyways

vote and comment!

thanks for reading- k