Chapter 76 - Wolf Laws

- Thank you for agreeing to listen to us.

Mirai spoke calmly and a little distantly. Mert was silent and looked at his two grandfathers point-blank.

- Let's sit down and make an order, - suggested Gumuskaya.

Mert pulled out a chair for Mom and helped her to sit down. The men looked at each other and also sank into their seats. Mert sat down next to his mother. The waiter served the menu. Mirai looked it over and chose the cheapest dish. Mert repeated Mom's order. Gumuskaya frowned and called the same thing. Oddly enough, Astarkhan also ordered it. When the waiter left, he turned to his former daughter-in-law and grandson:

- Mirai, Mert, I apologize for Hazal, Mehmet, and myself. I understand that it is impossible to forgive such a thing, but I want you to know that I regret that I believed the scoundrel and the daughter who defended him.

Mert's cheekbones tightened, his eyes turned to ice. But he remained silent. Mirai looked Engin Astarkhan in the eyes and said:

- If you repent and want to clear your conscience, then help the people who also almost became victims of Hazal and her, already second, husband.

- Passionis and Sapphire? - asked Engin Astarkhan. - Or, to be precise, their owners, Omer, and Defne Iplikci?

"Yes," Mirai confirmed. - Honest businessmen and decent people. They did a lot of good for me, Mert, and the girls. But now they are in trouble.

- Tell me, - ordered the chief of the Istanbul police.

Concisely and clearly, without unnecessary digressions and phrases, Mirai told the whole story. The men listened attentively, and when she fell silent, the father said:

- I can help to ensure that the court's decision when Iplikci files a lawsuit to be in their favor. But they are right. If there is a serious reason to consider Kadir Shishmaz an unreliable citizen, then he will not have a single chance to get custody of his minor daughter. Gambling is such a ground. Engin, what do you say?

Astarkhan rubbed his chin thoughtfully and was silent.

"You're not risking anything," said Mert, and his grandfather's face quivered. Finally, the grandson spoke to him. For this, he agreed to turn any adventure and risk not only his position but also his life. - To bring out the sharper and the swindler, isn't this the task of the police?

- You're right, son. Such an operation will be fully justified. But, - the expression on his face became hard again, - I will have a condition. You and your sisters will agree to meet with your father and me.

- Engin! - Gumuskaya was indignant. - You have no right to put pressure on the children. Maybe you will also make Mirai return to Mehmet.

Mirai raised her eyebrows ironically, showing with all her appearance that she thought about such an assumption. Astarkhan cast a short glance at his former daughter-in-law and replied:

- Not. I have no right to this. Mehmet is not worthy of a woman like Mirai. Seven years ago, it was he who should have stood up for her. But he didn't do it. Now let him bite his elbows. But Mert and the girls are his children. And my only grandchildren. We want to see them.

"For seven years you did not consider us your grandchildren," Mert reminded him.

- Yes it is. I made a mistake, which I admit and regret. And yet I insist. I will do my best to help Iplikci, but in return, I ask for one evening a week with my grandchildren.

Mert was silent. Pride demanded to send to hell his grandfather with his conditions. But Esra was in danger. The beautiful girl who made his heartbeat often and feel unreasonably happy. She filled his soul with light and his thoughts with joy. For her sake, he was ready for anything. Even talking to his grandfather and father.