Chapter 5 - How to bring back happiness

Omer got out of the car, took a tray with presents from Sukru's hands, but was in no hurry to ring the doorbell. He stopped to wait for his grandfather, who arrived in a second car, and also to allow curious neighbors to examine themselves from all sides.

And there was something to see. Today he dressed with particular care, then paid a visit to his hairdresser. The beard disappeared, turning into a long stubble and the hair took its usual, neat appearance. Omer, in his usual, impeccable form, appeared at the door of the Topal family. Leaning on a stick, the eldest of Iplikci, the grandfather of Hulusi, approached him."Well, son," he said to his grandson, "knock on the door."

Omer, ignoring the bell, knuckled on the wood paneling of the door. Voices were heard inside the house, then footsteps and the door opened. Grandmother Turkan went out onto the porch and stopped in confusion. She only goggled from one man to another.

"Good morning, grandmother Turkan," Omer bowed and, in front of the whole street, kissed her hand.

"Good morning, Madame Turkan," said Grandfather Hulusi. "We came with courtesy to pay respect to the relatives of our precious daughter-in-law Defne."

Grandfather spoke loudly so that the ears of a neighbor who stood nearby would hear every word. Grandma, not understanding what was happening, stepped aside and, pointing with her hand to the door, said:

- Welcome!

The men entered the house, and aunt Turkan, before following them, proudly threw up her head and looked down on the gossipers. They stood as if struck by thunder. How? Why? After all, this can not be! Iplikci themselves, also with gifts, came to the threshold of Turkan and the eldest called Defne a precious daughter-in-law! Here is the news so the news!

Mr. Hulusi and Omer were seated on an old sofa in a cozy and clean living room. Grandmother and dumbfounded Nihan sat on the sofa on the other side of the low table. Esra was making coffee in the kitchen.

Omer was silent. He ceded the right to his grandfather to start a conversation, and he spoke.

- Dear Madam Turkan, we know that we caused your family a lot of grief, but be merciful and listen to us. My son and daughter-in-law, and I did wrong. They imposed a lie on the children, from which they could not get out. They parted, suffered ... But they love each other and will be unhappy if their paths separate.

"Mr. Hulusy," the grandmother objected, "but Omer himself wanted to get a divorce. I understand that he left in a hurry. He was angry, offended ... But he filed for divorce two months later, which means he consciously decided so. And our girl, - tears glistened in the eyes of aunt Turkan, - she suffered so much.

"Madam Turkan," Omer spoke up. "Filing for divorce is my mistake." The biggest mistake. I am ashamed to admit the reasons that prompted me to do this, but believe me - I regret them. I love Defne. I love her very much. She is my wife and will remain so.

"But then, what do you want from me?" - asked Turkan.

Nihan, which was completely unlike her, sat silently. Esra, who brought a tray of coffee, set it on the table and sat next to her grandmother. Hugging her and pressing her head against her shoulder, she gazed steadily at Omer. He did not hide his eyes. He looked openly and all his feelings were reflected in his dark eyes.

"Only one thing," Omer answered the question of grandmother. "I want you to let me apologize to you for all the grief that I have caused you."I repent and regret what I did when Defne told me the truth about that dishonest game that my aunt and uncle dragged her into. If I could turn back the clock, I would never leave Defne. I wouldn't leave ...