Chapter 14 - Why?

September morning was breathing cool air. The sky over Istanbul was bright blue and crystal clear. Even city smog did not hide it with a whitish haze. Pigeons circled lazily over the rooftops. Sometimes seagulls joined them. They fluttered their wings and screamed piercingly, reminding passersby that the Bosphorus was very close. It breathes, worries, silvering under the rays of the morning sun, sobbing with the fish, which fishermen grab from the water on the Galata bridge. And waiting for the Istanbul people to admire their morning beauty. But people, having a heap of problems around their necks, bowing their heads in a hurry for their important affairs, do not notice the piercing blue sky, nor the sparkling sun within the Bosphorus waters, nor the seagulls, nor that the summer is over, and sad golden autumn.

Omer, lost in thought, left the house and stopped near the car. Sukru was already waiting for him. After greeting, he smiled with his usual, good-natured smile and opened the back door.

- Good morning, Sukru! - answered Omer, but he was in no hurry to get into the car. He looked at the windows on the first floor and waited patiently.

Today's morning went wrong from the start. The tiny bathroom was not intended for a tall man, and Omer almost demolished his shower head fixed under the low ceiling. Having scratched the bruised place, he somehow washed under the meager jets of lukewarm water and returned to the room. Yesterday, Zehra showed miracles of ingenuity by placing his clothes in the only old closet in the whole apartment, and this morning he hardly found the necessary things in the stacked piles and tightly put hangers with suits.

Of course, there was no coffee maker in the apartment, and he tried to make coffee in an old-fashioned way - in a coffee pot. It didn't work out very well. More precisely - disgusting. Taking a sip, he winced and poured the bitter, devoid of aroma liquid into the sink. He tried to get through to Defne. She didn't pick up the phone for a long time, and when, finally, she answered, her voice sounded displeased. She said that she was in a hurry and had no time for idle conversations. Like for breakfast. Deciding not to aggravate the situation, he completed the call and went to wait for her on the street - he was not going to allow Defne to escape unnoticed. Yesterday they took a step towards each other, and today Omer was determined not to surrender the won positions. Although the morning was not the best in his life, he was going to make the day and evening unforgettable. He smiled at his thoughts, but the next second the smile slipped from his face. With a tray in her hands, showing all thirty-two teeth in a smile, yesterday's annoying girl swam to him.

- Omer, good morning! - she exclaimed. Sukru's eyebrows went upon his forehead, and Omer himself only tightly clenched his jaw and with a nod, answered the greeting.

But the girl didn't care at all for such a reaction to her words. She came up close and held out a tray with a fragrant pile of hot bureks.

"This is for breakfast." I was busy baking all morning.

Omer stepped back a step and laid his hands behind his back.

- Thank you for your concern, but not worth it. I don't eat burek. You better treat these children. "He nodded at the three grimy boys who stood nearby, stared at his Mercedes and licked from the smell of hot bureks.

Sabrina was confused. The inviting smile faded and the voice lost its confidence:

- Seriously? Do not eat burek?

- Seriously, really! – a mockingly funny voice was heard. The whole three together turned their heads to its sound. Defne stood on the porch. In brown pumps, cream-colored narrow, knee-length skirt, and a light brown oversized sweater, she looked amazing. There was so much elegance in her graceful figure that Sabrina felt like a cumbersome simpleton, and even with a stupid, full with bureks, tray in her hands. Omer stepped forward to meet his wife, and she easily ran down the steps of the porch and turned to the girl: "Next time, prepare a Fresh from vegetables and herbs." Omer will like it, - she smiled and addressed immediately to everyone: