#6 A Tale Not to Tell

"Don't call me baby again,
You've got your reasons.
Know that you trynna be friends,
I Know that you mean it.
Don't call me baby again,
It's hard for me to go home
And be so lonely."

— "To Be So Lonely" // Harry Styles

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

From what Mishti knows Abir is the Casanova of the town, there shouldn't be any unease from his side if he has any intimate moment with any girl, he is the well known player and the philandering charmer. By now she has stopped feeling disgusted at various mentions of Abir's flings from different girls here and there. After knowing Kuhu and Abir's affair it is quite clear what makes Abir get involved in these flings - he's yet to get over his heartbreak or now he's just too much into this game that there's no way out for him. Well, that's the typical way often chosen by a heartbroken man. In the process he stopped showing his care and suppressing his emotions, he has emerged as someone devoid of such feelings.

But why is it so? That's the only question that irks Mishti. He's a psychologist after all, he is the healer to those who are unable to cope up with their emotions, he's the guide to those who seek the right way to live life, he is the master in his field. Then how come he is so unreasonable? Is his old love so wild that it still drives him mad that he chooses the other way to move on? Or has this actually become just a game for him now? Is he really the master of his emotions or is he just another emotional fool who pretends otherwise?

Just a pretentious fucker!
Or is he?

She shouldn't be proud of this but Mishti has seen Abir. The real Abir. The one with a broken heart and charming smile. The one whose eyes keep saying things his lips try to hide. The one who says he doesn't give a damn to anyone but doesn't proceed with any project without consulting every single person in the office.

The one who makes everyone feel loved and cared for.

The one who claims to be unconcerned about things and emotions.

This is why Mishti was surprised at first. If he's really so indifferent there is no reason for him to be so uncomfortable around her. What is it that makes him hold his guards so tight around her?

What is it that he's scared of?

Mishti glances at Abir's cabin through the glass door. It's nearly a month since she first stepped into this office and not until she shared an intimate moment with Abir, it was going perfect. It's really strange to see Abir staying aloof and at unease around her. Is it because he's ashamed of being vulnerable in front of her or does this mean something else, something she would not like to think of?

In fact, since when has she started caring for others?

Disrupting her flow of thoughts suddenly Abir enters her cabin and nearly stumbles upon her.

"Ouch.."

"Oh God, I'm so sorry Mishti, I didn't mean to.."

"Yes it's okay."

"Wait, why are you standing at the door, Miss Agarwal?"

Abir asks in an investigating tone much to Mishti's irritation. What will she say? That she was busy looking at him? So she chooses silence as her best response.

Abir looks at her for a moment and then looks away. He doesn't even know why he's trying to avoid her eyes so much. Deep down he almost knows the reason and that's scary. But whatever it is, it's tough - it's tough to avoid those eyes that can read him inside out if they want to. It's tough to not look at those deep eyes where he feels like finding himself. It's tough not to show his attraction and hold himself back from stepping forward.