#7 Demons Scare No More

"There's a lightning in your eyes I can't deny,
Then there's me inside a sinking boat, running out of time.
There's a moment when you finally realize,
There's no way you can change the rolling tide.
But I know, yes I know that I'll be fine."

— "Ready to Run" // One Direction

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

Sitting in the big conference hall Mishti feels alone - like really alone. Honestly loneliness is not something she's afraid of, she has been alone all her life yet this time it was different.

Abir is not sitting in front of her today.

Months back when Mishti joined Rajvanshs she was sure of what place Abir was to occupy in her life until he proved her wrong - terribly wrong. And after what happened yesterday it's impossible to take off her thoughts from Abir and she is not even apprehensive to admit it, just like meeting Nishant alone doesn't bother her anymore.

Mishti has faced Nishant quite a few times now, the only difference today is she has to talk to him directly. No Abir will be there to counter Nishant when he makes any comment on Mishti. Not like she's not strong enough to give it back to her ex-husband, but the feeling of being protected by a man like Abir Rajvansh is a privilege, and as terrifying as it sounds, Mishti is getting used to this.

To the care,
To the protection,
To the empathy,

To Abir...

Slowly but definitely, she is appreciating his presence in her life.

But then he chooses to leave, and Mishti is alone.

Again.

Like she's always been.

"Mishti ma'am, Nishant Singhaniya is here."

"Great, ask him to come here; we shall finish this meeting by 1."

"Alright ma'am. It's 11 o'clock already so I think we can start. This is the file if you want to check once more."

"Sure. Thanks Kunal. Oh, Abir has signed already."

"Yes ma'am."

Mishti glances at the door and Nishant enters the hall with his usual creepy look. Kunal takes his seat behind Mishti as Nishant and his companions settle down. So Abir is actually not coming today. Mishti sighs as her non-existent hopes are broken.

"So let's start the meeting, Mr. Singhaniya. As we've discussed already in our previous meetings, this project if approved we'll be working directly with the government and it'll help us to not only spread awareness about mental health in rural areas but also to act upon things efficiently. In short, we'll actually be making a change. So this happens to be our last meeting in regard to this project. Abir sir had to leave for Delhi urgently but he has signed the papers."

"Why?" Nishant smirks, raising an eyebrow at Mishti, "Did he finally realize where he is supposed to be?"

"I request you all to go through the file once again and suggest any changes if necessary. Then we can proceed. Thank you gentlemen." Kunal concludes, ignoring Nishant.

Mishti looks away when she feels Nishant's fixed gaze at her. Honestly she's not shocked; she has known all Nishant wants is an opportunity to snap at Mishti and now in Abir's absence, Nishant won't leave this chance.

And this is the moment when something clicks inside her mind.

Abir has been protecting her.

He has been doing that since she first stepped inside this office, without even saying so.

Maybe unintentionally, but he does care.