#11 On the Crossroads

"I'm not saying that you're lying,
But you're leaving out the truth.
And I'm not saying that you're guilty
'Cause I don't have any proof
Feeling like I'm going crazy
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause on paper, you don't break them
But it's just not fair, the way you bend the rules."

— "Bend the Rules" // Niall Horan

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

The silence is screaming louder than ever. For the first time in her life Mishti actually doesn't know what to say.

But then Abir slowly pulls his hands out of Mishti's.

And this is enough for Mishti to break, or at least try to make hole in the walls she has built around her. Abir is not a threat and for this one fleeting moment Mishti wants to hold on.

Because Abir deserves better.

"Trust me Abir, that was long back. Everything's changed now. Today I understand the good and the bad, I know what's right and I know how much wrong I did. I'm sorry Abir, I've always been this spoiled girl, too young to ponder over right and wrong, I was a complete mess. But today I'm changed or at least I'm trying to change Abir. I was selfish, I was a complete idiot but Abir, things have changed now. Please believe me, I can't think of hurting you ever. I can't hurt the one who saved me. Abir, say something for God's sake!"

Neither of them speaks for a while. Mishti feels something heavy inside her, too heavy to carry. And when it hits her, suddenly she is back to square 1.

She feels guilty.

Mishti Agarwal is guilty.

After so long of doing whatever she wants, today Abir Rajvansh has made Mishti walk on the dark streets of guilt.

Abir Rajvansh has done that, and how? Just by his silence.

Mishti attempts blinking away the tears as she looks up to see the man in front of her. What is it that she regrets now? When did she give Abir the power to make her feel guilty? But when she finds nothing in those hazel eyes of his, she knows she has to accept the truth she's constantly running from.

She has been fighting this constant guilt from day one.

The day she didn't listen to her mom.
The day she tricked Kuhu.
The day she dismissed Nishant.
The day she agreed for the marriage.
The day she finally realised the truth.

The guilt and regrets have always been there.

The day she met Abir.
The day she genuinely smiled after so long.
The day he made her feel safe.
The day he broke down.
The day she finally looked at him beyond revenge.

Mishti always had this I-don't-care-what-anyone-thinks-of-me attitude, she was never bothered by others except for her parents and herself. Honestly she never really knew what it is to love and care for someone until she met Abir. After Rajshree's untimely death, Mishti faced the harsh reality. This was the first time when the bubble burst and she drowned in the flood. Abir has been always right, had he not caught her hand she might have burnt herself in the flames. Not like she's weak but defenceless - she was, for sure. All your knowledge from books seems to leave you when your heart breaks. All hell's broke when Rajshree died, when she came to know that Vishambhar was her step-dad and she was nothing more than a deal for her so-called father. She ran away, although determined to take her revenge she had to run away to save herself.

This is when Abir re-enters her life, like a breath of fresh air. He gives her a purpose - a better purpose. He is the good to her bad; it all still feels so new and so good that the mere thought of Abir hating her now is terrifying.