#10 Silences Have Secrets

"We keep taking turns, will we ever learn?
Spaces between us keep getting deeper,
It's harder to reach you, even though I try.
Spaces between us hold all our secrets,
Leaving us speechless and I don't know why."

— "Spaces" // One Direction

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

"Good to see you after so long, Abir Beta."

Vishambhar Maheshwari puts his hand on Abir's back from behind. Abir is startled as he turns to him; it's funny how reminiscing about Mishti in front of her father seems to be a crime. So he just tries to smile his most attractive smile and says anything. The panic rises and he silently prays Mishti will find him in no time. Because he's not sure if his facade of the smile will be up for long without her.

Mr. Maheshwari's unwanted presence is not helping either.

"Are you fine, Abir? It's a happy night."

"Yes, I am. It's a happy night, indeed."

Abir stared at Vishambhar's hopeful face. Did he talk to Mishti? And if yes, where is she?

"How's Mishti, Abir? I saw her sometimes back, I must say she looks quite cheerful. All thanks to you, Abir Beta. My daughter is finally smiling. Also it feels good to meet you openly."

"Why did you never tell me that you're her step father?" Abir snaps. He is getting frustrated and not to be rude but truthfully Vishambhar's concern or anything is the last thing he needs right now.

"Why did you not tell me her mother attempted suicide? Why would you hide such important things? Tell me, Mr. Maheshwari, why did you do that to her? You actually used her - just to satisfy your stupid ego! You played with her and her mother. I can't even imagine what she must have gone through. You are the villain in this story and she's the strong survivor. And you told me her ex in-laws used her. Let me tell you, Mr. Vishambhar Maheshwari, Mishti Agarwal deserves better than going back to her selfish father.""

"Abir, I told you that I'm guilty. I know I was wrong. That's why I came to you."

"You came to me because you knew everything was out of your control now."

"I accept that Abir. Isn't that what I told you? I want my daughter back and that's why --"

Vishambhar abruptly stopped. Abir notices a tinge of horror in his eyes.

"Abir? What's happening here?"

Abir immediately shuts his eyes tightly with a hope that he blinks and nobody is here. Alas! It's not a fairytale and it's Mishti here at the moment she shouldn't have been. And now he can't dare to turn back. He hears her footsteps coming towards them. It's really the end.

"Abir, tell me what's happening here."

Mishti holds his hand tightly, she looks tense yet she is beautiful. Amidst the rising tension, Abir doesn't forget to steal a glance at the gorgeous lady in front of him - she looks like a princess today. It is so unfortunate that Abir cannot properly stare at her face right now. Abir realizes Kunal is right behind her.

"Mishti, my love, how are you Beta?"

It is Vishambhar who speaks.

"I missed you Mishti Beta. It's been so long --"

"Speak up, Abir. What are you planning with this man?"

Mishti's gaze is constant at Abir whose head is held down. Vishambhar realizes it's not exactly the time to have a meet and greet with his daughter and the dynamics are visibly different now. Mishti's eyes are demanding answers and there's a plea in her expression.