XL : The Illicit Affair

EDWARD

Everything had changed so quickly. He had known what it was like to run fast, to live fast. But these emotions boiling inside of him? Was too fast and way too much. Everything was heightened. Everything he wanted was just within reach, but...It wasn't as easy as he first thought. How could it be? He was an immortal playing with the lives of humans. Ruining their lives for his own wants and needs.

Edward just needed a moment to catch his breath. To make a decision...

"You will do the right thing son."

Those were the last words Carlisle uttered to him.

He knew what his family expected of him. He knew what he wanted to do. Now, the only thing left to choose was between what was right and what was easy.

Did he love Gwen? Edward knew it deep down, the raw emotion and effortless fall was pure. He was indeed, already in love with her. Not being around her, not being able to get to know her, it would be torture. It would be as though he were pulling himself up a cliff face, hand over hand, the task as grueling as if he had no more than mortal strength.

And yet, Edward knew Gwen did not love him. Maybe not yet. Maybe not ever.

Regardless, it was a risk he was willing to take. That is, before the safety of his family was in question.

Rosalie was right, he got them into these messes. First with Bella. And then, with the Volturi. Edward had been so positive he loved Bella. That his feelings for her would never waver. But they did.

They wavered and crashed and burned all at once. There was nothing left of that love, other than that of a friend.

And yet, even if he was not in love with Bella. He knew she needed to hear the truth. All of it. And whatever decision Edward made, he knew someone would be hurt. He knew he in the end, would be full of grief and guilt. He knew that pain he deserved.

Edward owed it to both woman, to do the right thing.

Gwen deserve happiness and love with whomever she chose. And so did Bella.

Swallowing hard, Edward hear an older beat-up motor driving to the border of the Quileute land. He didn't recognize the sound of the car until he heard Leah Clearwater's thoughts.

I swear, this is the LAST time I make excuses for not signing up for a Yoga class! I need to stop turning into a goddamn wolf so Sam can stop sending me on mindless tasks like driving this crybaby. What do I look like? A therapist and a babysitter?!

Edward frowned as he got out of the car, seeing images of Bella silently crying while she and Leah road in pure silence. Bella didn't look harmed, at least not physically. Bella slumped unresponsively against the seat of the car, her eyes closed, tears running down her face, her skin chalky as a corpse.

Leah barely made it to the edge of the Reservation border, when the woman stopped and let Bella out.

Edward nodded towards Leah, silently thanking her as Leah rolled her big brown eyes. It was then, Edward caught an image in Leah's mind that he couldn't quite believe to be true: Bella and Jacob, locked in a passionate embrace.

He looked over to Leah, who shook her head as though feeling sorry for him and pressed down on the breaks.

"What happened?" Edward asked, as he took his jacket off and placed it around Bella.

Edward could hear her heart beating and her even breath. As he watched, she squeezed her eyes more tightly shut.

Bella shuttered as his touch, "Don't..."