I : The Outsiders

"So, you really fought in that war? I mean, of course you did. I kept up with the trials in the paper and--"

The woman with dark brown eyes took one look at the man, before opening the silver car door they conjured.

Cal grimaced as he got inside of the driver seat, mumbling something about just trying to make conversation.

Her long dark lashes tickled her skin as she blinked, crossing her legs in the car as she took in the seductive smell. "Is this new?"

"It's an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish" Cal said proudly, as grinned at the woman once more. "I really can't believe my department allowed us to get these. I got you a white C7 Volvo convertible. My department didn't think your request for a motorcycle would allow you to blend in."

The man glanced at her nervously, as though hoping to not have displeased her.

Gwen was used to people speaking to her in such tones. Everyone wanted to please her. Everyone wanted to know details about the war. But as much as people wanted more and more from her, the less she wanted from them. She had given enough in the war. And now, she could give no longer.

"As long as it's fast" Gwen said, as she used waved her wand to dry herself and Cal.

"Oh it is!" Cal said quickly, as he signaled in the car to turn into the small town.

The two exchanged a few more comments on the weather, which was wet, and that was pretty much it for conversation. She knew he had questions about the war. But she believed she made it clear she did not want to discuss that.

The two stared out the windows in silence.

Though tiny, Forks, Washington was beautiful. Everything was green: the trees, their trunks covered with moss, their branches hanging with a canopy of it, the ground covered with ferns. Even the air filtered down greenly through the leaves.

The woman raised a perfectly arched eyebrow, as she eyed the town with curiosity. "So this is home."

"Yeah," Cal responded, seeing the hesitation on his face. "We managed to secure a nice rental house. Though, most of these properties are pretty rundown. I tried to see if maybe we could get us something nicer built but--"

"I'm sure whatever you got is fine" Gwen said, as she continued to look out of the window.

"You know, I thought you would have been older."

She ignored his comment once more. "So where is our rental?"

"Just here" Cal stated, as he looked straight ahead.

The raven haired woman tossed her short hair to the side as she leaned forward to see their new home. It was at the corner of the street, a newly painted two story home, with brand new looking car parked outside of it.

"It's charming."

"You think so?" Cal said in an excited tone. "I want to make sure we're comfortable. And I wasn't sure what you were used to--"

The woman opened her car door as she stepped outside, feeling the precipitation landing on her dark skin. The outcome, making her look as though she were glowing with tiny water droplets.

"Oh!" Cal said quickly, as he got out of the car quickly and covered his hair with his arms. "Did I mention this is one of the rainiest parts of the country?"

The man then ran around, holding an umbrella forward to cover Gwen.

Gwen automatically took a step back, covering herself in the rain once more. "That's not nec--"