XLII : The Duchess

GWEN

The raven-haired woman did not know what to expect as Leah guided her and Cal to her cousin Emily's home. The last time Gwen was face-to-face with the werewolves, they were about ready to attack her and Edward. Though from what Cal had explained, the treaty really did rely on them not crossing the line. She knew it made sense, but she hoped they bore no ill will towards her after the fiasco in the woods.

As they approached the homes in the Reservation, Gwen couldn't help but admire the way Leah and Cal were with each other. Whenever one of them spoke, the other listened as though it were the last words they would ever hear in their life. Whenever one of them walked, the other moved in perfect sync. Though Gwen herself did not believe in love at first sight anymore, this truly was convincing to the power and magic of love.

Once they arrived on the street, Gwen was really quite surprised at the two big half-naked boys walking in front of them, as Leah mentioned they were in the pack. As the only people she had truly seen before that were a part of the pack to be Leah and Sam, the boys with baby and joyful faces...was not what she was expecting.

"Hey, Leah!" one of the the shorter boys said without looking away from Gwen.

Gwen held his gaze, as she slowly grinned at him. He immediately turned red.

"Hi, there" he said quietly, as his confidence left him and he looked away from Gwen.

"Quil, Embry—this is my friend, Gwen" Leah smiled confidently, as she nodded towards Gwen. "She's the one working with Cal."

Quil and Embry, Gwen still didn't know which was which, exchanged a loaded look.

"The witch, right?" the brawny boy asked her, holding out his hand.

"That's right," Gwen confirmed, as she took his hand. His grasp was firm; it looked like he was flexing his bicep. And Gwen did the same.

It must have surprised him, as he grinned at her impressively and said, "You have a strong grip."

"You too, I almost felt that" Gwen teased, as the other boy howled with laughter.

"I'm Quil Ateara," he announced grandly before releasing her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Quil. I'm Gwen Organa."

"Hey, Gwen. I'm Embry, Embry Call—you probably already figured that out, though." Embry smiled a shy
smile and waved with one hand, which he then shoved in the pocket of his jeans.

The raven-haired woman nodded, as she reached over to him and stuck out her hand. "Nice to meet you, too."

Embry looked taken aback at her manners, and immediately took her hand excitedly.

"So what are you guys doing?" Quil asked, still looking at Gwen.

"We're heading to Emily's for breakfast" Leah explained. "Then we're having a war council with the Cullens about the newborns that are coming. Didn't Sam tell you?"

"Yeah. Those leeches won't be easy for us" Embry said quietly but bravely. "Still, this is our job more than those cold ones."

"I can't believe we're actually agreeing to this truce" Leah said as she shook her head. "But, it's better than being out there without backup."

As the five of them continued to walk towards Emily's house, Gwen spotted it right away. At the end of the lane was a tiny house that had once been gray. There was only one narrow window beside the weathered blue door, but the window box under it was filled with bright orange and yellow marigolds, giving the whole place a cheerful look.