XLI : The Mates

GWEN

"So...Imprinting, huh?" Gwen asked with a slight chuckle, after Cal had given her a rundown of the Quileute legends and their magnificent skills in matchmaking.

Cal chuckled good-naturedly, "It's as weird as it sounds. But it feels right Gwen. All of this, the wolf pack, the vampires, Leah. it all feels right. When I saw her...It was like the whole world just turned brighter. As though, I was meant to be in this one place at that time in order to meet her."

Gwen whistled as she crossed her arms. Though she had quite an adventure back in Hogsmeade, it seemed Cal did too on the reservation.

The two were sitting on a bench facing La Push beach. The beach had only a thin border of actual sand at the water's edge, after which it grew into millions of large, smooth stones that looked uniformly gray from a distance, but close up were every shade a stone could be: terra-cotta, sea green, lavender, blue gray, dull gold. The tide line was strewn with huge driftwood trees, bleached bone white in the salt waves, some piled together against the edge of the forest fringe, some lying solitary, just out of reach of the waves.

There was a brisk wind coming off the waves, cool and briny. Pelicans floated on the swells while
seagulls and a lone eagle wheeled above them. The dark clouds still circled the sky, threatening to invade with rain at any moment, but for now the grey skies stayed dry.

"I still don't get it" Gwen said, as she raised one of her perfectly arched eyebrows. "How is this even possible? A person finding their soulmate just by looking at them? I just...It sounds like a love-potion if anything."

"She's not forcing me to care for her" Cal explained patiently. "It's just the wolf packs magic. It's not like love at first sight, really. I have a choice to not return Leah's love. But the way it feels being around her? I wouldn't leave her for anything. She's just so funny Gwen, so incredible and so beautiful in every way. She's strong, powerful, and...She makes me feel whole."

The raven-haired woman smiled, as she could see the pure adoration on his face. It was different from the look of someone who accidentally drank a love potion. He really did love her.

"Still sounds like a love potion" Gwen grinned teasingly, as Cal laughed. "I just can't wrap my head around it. It just sounds so simple. One person made perfectly for the other? I guess... I just don't believe that we're destined to be with anyone. I don't think that we're supposed to love just one person."

"Of course not" Leah's voice rang, as she joined them. "We love more than one person in our lifetime. Before Cal, I loved Sam. And I truly believe that if we didn't have this magical factor, we would have been together. But then Sam felt this strong force for Emily. I was always so mad about it since Sam and I were together for three years, we've even talked about getting married. I didn't know how one look at my cousin would change everything. I still didn't truly understand it, even when I first turned into a wolf. But now--" Leah smiled widely to Cal, revealing her perfect teeth to create an almost an infectious happiness.

Leah was very beautiful. She had copper skin and eyelashes like feather dusters. She was incredibly taller than Gwen, probably around 5'10 to Gwen's measly 5'1. Her hair was in a perfect sleek black pixie cut, which looked incredible with her cheek bones. Gwen was instantly taken with her after she had returned from dropping Bella off at the border. Cal immediately introduced her to Gwen, as she could see the pure adoration in their eyes for each other.

"But now you imprinted" Gwen finished for her, as the two were so distracted by each other they seemed to have forgotten she was there.

"Your mate isn't the only person you love. It isn't about that" Leah continued, as she forced to make herself look away from Cal.