Chapter 17

Henry's POV

I move over to where Sarah is curled up on the ground.
"Sar, are you okay?" I ask, crouching down next to her.

She doesn't answer, she just sits there, shaking quietly. I stroke her arm, trying to comfort her, I'm not sure how successful I am though.

I hear Charlotte coming down the stairs, and soon she's standing next to Sarah and I.

"What happened?" Charlotte asks.

I point to the picture hanging in the wall. Being as smart as she is, it doesn't take much for to figure it out.
"Oh." She nods her head in understanding.

Charlotte sits down next to Sarah and I.
"Sarah are you okay?" She asks. Sarah shakes her head to indicate 'no'.

Charlotte wraps her up in a hug and helps her sit up.

"How?" Sarah asks, trembling.
"I guess the same way you can be 'Sparkly'." I answer. "Maybe that's why you're so great a helping Captain Man." I suggest.
"Maybe." Sarah says absentmindedly.
"Maybe that's why they put you in all those gymnastics classes and stuff." I add, thinking aloud.

"Face it! I'm just a disappointment to them!" Sarah exclaims suddenly, bursting into tears. Charlotte squeezes Sarah's shoulders.
"I'm sure that's not true. If they didn't care about you, they wouldn't be so protective." Charlotte says.
"No. They're only protective because they don't think I can take care of myself! Hence, disappointment!" Sarah wails.

I've never seen her like this before, this situation with her parents has really gotten to her.

"Sarah, they love you. I'm sure you're not a a disappointment." I tell her.

Just then, we're interrupted by a noise. The huge flat-screen monitor, hanging high above a console similar to Ray's, lights up, and video starts to play.

Sarah's parents, dressed in their costumes, minus the masks, appear on the screen.

"Hello Sarah. If you're seeing this, it means you've discovered our secret. Wether or not you understand it, I don't know." Her mom starts.

Sarah turns and whispers to me;
"This is so cliché." I nod my head.

"We kept it from you because we wanted to keep you safe, but we still left it so that you could discover it." Her mom continues.

"However, the only way this room would be accessible to you is if we're in distress. This room is for your safety until we return, please stay safe, we love you." her dad says, before the video goes dead.

The door at the top of the stairs slams shut.
"Lockdown initiated." The robot lady is back.
"Well that video was anticlimactic." Sarah says.
"A little bit." I agree.

"Are we stuck here now though?" Sarah exclaims, sounding frustrated.
"I think so." I sigh.

"Well that's not good enough." Sarah says, determinedly.

Her watch beeps, and she checks it. I guess she got Ray's location.
"As mad as I am with my parents, we still took an oath to help Captain Man, and I'm not about to break it. Let's figure out how to get out of here."

Sarah starts walking around the cavern. She stops in front of a large metal panel with a palm reader next to it.
"What do you think's behind here?" She grins mischievously.
"Only one way to find out." I grin. Sarah smacks her palm against the scanner. It flashes green and the panel slides open.

"Holy mother of..." Charlotte starts.
"Weapons!" Sarah finishes.

The wall behind the panel is full of fancy looking devices.
"Should we gear up?" I ask.
"Of course!" Sarah answers, pulling out her gum. We blow our bubbles and are soon looking quite snazzy.

"What is all this stuff though?" Charlotte asks, turning over an item in her hands, that strongly resembles a laser gun. She must have accidentally hit the trigger, cause a laser beam goes shooting out, hitting the rock wall and leaving a scorch mark.

"Whoops." Charlotte says, looking guilty. Sarah grins.
"No worries, they shouldn't have left me access to these." she says, grabbing a few other gadgets.

I grab some too.
"Are we ready to go save some superheroes?" I ask.
"Definitely." Sarah replies, nodding her head. "Charlotte, what do you say to helping us out?" Sarah asks.
"Um, I don't even have a costume." Charlotte replies, surprised. She looks nervous too, which is strange for her.
Sarah hands her a gum ball.
"I guess we'll have to match for today then." Sarah replies, smiling kindly. Charlotte takes it and smiles.
"Okay, let's do this!"

Sarah grabs the laser gun from Charlotte, and shoots a huge smoking hole in the door, so we can get out.

"Uh Sarah, I think the superhero exit is over here." I say, pointing to an alcove with a similar looking set up to Ray's tubes.

Sarah blushes.
"Oh. Oops." She says, turning around.
"You don't think...?" I say. I hit my belt buckle.
"New user. Command authorized. Kid Danger." The robot lady says.
"How on earth?" Sarah says.
"No clue." I say.
"There's still only two tubes." Charlotte says. She's decked out in a matching version of Sarah's costume.
"Right. Char you can ride with me." I say. I put my hand around her waist and hit my belt buckle again, and the tube comes down, surrounding us. Sarah stands under the one next to ours, and hits her own belt buckle.

"New user. Command authorized. Sparkly."

"Oh jeez, me too." Sarah grumbles.

"Up the tube!" I yell.