Chapter 8

Sarah's POV

I rush back to Henry's house. My hair probably looks really disgruntled, but I know I need to get back before anyone becomes too suspicious.

I stumble up to the front door. I forgot my bag earlier, so I need to get that. Plus, Henry will probably think it's weird if Jasper tells him I left right after he and Charlotte did.

I knock. Jasper answers.
"Hey Sarah!"
"Hey Jasper. Are Charlotte and Henry back yet?" I ask.
"No. They're still at work." Jasper smiles.
"Oh, okay," I say.

I look around Henry's living room. It's actually so colorful. I wish my parents were this creative with their decorating. Our house is so bland. My room is the one exception. Actually, that sorta has something to do with why Captain Man and Kid Danger call me "Sparkly".

I think back to how that started. I had finally convinved my parents to let me redecorate my room, from its orignal, boring cream color. So, being my normal self, I picked out a nice light blue, and an overlay type paint. It was like a clear coat, with silver sparkles in it. I was going to use it to make designs, like swirls and other patterns.

I had finished with the blue paint, and I had stencilled out what I wanted to do with the sparkly stuff. I was just about to start, when my dog, Zoey, came charging into my room.

She knocked over the stepladder that the paint can was sitting on, bathing me in the stuff. In other words, covering me in sparkles.

Needless to say, I'm kind of embarrased that I first met Captain Man covered in sparkles.

My thoughts are interrupted suddenly by Jasper.
"Hey Piper!" he calls to Henry's little sister, who just came running down the stairs.
"Jasper! Just because you're friends with my brother, doesn't mean we have to talk!" she yells at him. Then, she notices me, sitting on the couch. I smile at her. "Who the heck are you?" she exclaims. Wow, rude much.

"I'm Sarah, I'm working on a project," I tell her.
"I'm Sarah, I'm working on a project," Piper mimics what I said, in a mocking tone and I frown.
How can a nice enough person like Henry, be related to this brat? And how can anybody be mean to Jasper?
"Well, it's nice to meet you too," I say to her. I don't even bother to try and hide my sarcasm.

"MOM! JASPER'S HERE AGAIN!" she starts yelling all of a sudden. Henry's mom comes running from the basement. I can see the resemblance between her and Henry.
"Piper, honey, we've talked about this."
"IT'S NOT OKAY!" Piper yells, before running back upstairs, causing her mom to chase after her.

The front door opens, and Henry and Charlotte walk in the door, they look flustered.
"How was work, guys?" I ask them. They look at me, and apparently they're speechless.
"Great. What happened to your hair?" Henry says quickly to me. My eyes widen, and I pale.
"What do you mean?" I exclaim.

Charlotte elbows Henry.
"It looks fine!" she tries.
"Then why did he ask about it?" I retort.
"Oh, you mean you didn't do that to your hair on purpose?" Jasper asks me. I turn to look at him. "You know, the poof, thing," he adds, motioning to his own hair with his hands as if that helps explain what he means.

"What!" I gasp. I whip out my phone, opening the camera. I breathe a sigh of relief. My hair is fine, it's just still greased back from being in costume. How am I going to explain this?
"Well?" Henry looks at me expectantly.

He seems really hopeful. Like, as if he doesn't want me to come up with a suitable, or believable answer.
"Um. I went home for dinner, and my cousins were there. They wanted to mess with my hair, so I let them." I hope they buy it.

"Oh, okay," Henry says, looking disappointed. Charlotte is still staring at me and I feel somewhat uncomfortable. Jasper seems oblivious to the fact that both Charlotte and Henry are treating me weirdly.

"So, are we doing any more stuff for the project? Or is it cool if I jet?" I ask, trying to cover up how nervous I am. Almost as nervous as Henry and Charlotte always seem.

"Yeah, sure, bye!" Henry exclaims, before I have any time to do anything else. He grabs my arm, directing me towards the door.
"You can go too, Jasper!" Charlotte adds, grabbing Jasper. Soon Jasper and I find ourselves on Henry's front porch.
"Well, good night, I guess," I say to him
"Night!" he exclaims, smiling. It's like nothing can bring him down.

I leave Henry's, and start my walk home. It's about 15 minutes away.

I start to think to myself;
why were Henry and Charlotte acting so weird? Henry was practically betting on me not being able to come up with a good answer as to why my hair was different. Like he was trying to catch me in a lie. And earlier, I'm pretty sure he was talking into his watch, kind of like Kid Danger does with Captain Man. Hold on a second.

Everything is starting to click in my brain.
Henry leaves at the same time as me for "work".
The way he acted when I said something about his watch.
Why he thought I looked familiar.
It all makes sense now.
He must be Kid Danger!

The only thing I can't figure out, is how Charlotte fits into the equation. Maybe, like me, she put all the clues that were just laying there, easy to see, together.

I'm actually really surprised no one else has figured it out. Maybe it's just because Charlotte has known him for a really long time, and isn't well, you know... Jasper. And I guess I have the advantage of knowing him as Kid Danger and in his normal life as Henry. The similarities are uncanny. They both stare at me. All the time.

I decide I'm going to find out if I'm right. I turn around and dash back to Henry's house.

There's a tree right next to his bedroom window, I'm about to climb it, when I realize, I'm not the only one with that idea.

A man, maybe in his mid-thirties, is next to Henry's window, clearly having scaled the tree. He taps on Henry's window. Henry opens it, and guy climbs in.

I hurry up the tree as fast I can. I stare as the guy is talking with Henry and Charlotte. I wonder what's going on. I can't hear what they're talking about, since Henry closed the window, but the guy is madly waving his arms around. It looks like he's arguing with Henry. Charlotte appears to be just standing there, calmly.

I really don't understand this.