Chapter 9

Henry's POV

"Why did you call me?" Ray asks me, after having stumbled through my window. He's not impressed with me—clearly demonstrated by the look he gives me. Charlotte glances at me and I know she's annoyed, since she didn't feel this warranted calling Ray here.

"I think I know who Sparkly is!" I exclaim. That gets Ray's attention. He stares at me.
"What? How? When? Who?" Ray asks me.
"I think it's my friend, her hair was like all messed up and stuff." Ray frowns and rolls his eyes.
"Henry, that's not exactly concrete proof."
"Thank you!" Charlotte chimes in. I glare at her.
"Well it's still possible!" I retort. I make a face at them. It's not my fault they don't believe me.

Just then, Ray's alarm starts going off. He looks at me, and without saying anything, acknowledgment passes between us. We both grab our gum, and blow our bubbles.
"Good luck," Charlotte says to us.
"Thanks." I smile at her.

"Don't worry, there's no crime. Just an emergency back at the man cave," Ray informs us. I frown at him questioningly. "I'll explain later, it involves some colleagues," Ray tells me. That makes me even more curious. I honestly have no idea what Ray is talking about, and that worries me. He opens my window, and climbs into the tree.

All of a sudden, the three of us hear a noise. That sounds a lot like;
"Oof." As if someone had fallen out of the tree. We look at each other. We don't have to speak to know we're all thinking the same thing;
Did someone just find out our identities?
Ray looks around, but it's dark out, so I don't know how much he can see.
"The coast is clear. Come on," Ray says to me, motioning that I follow him out onto the branch. I glance back at Charlotte before following Ray.
"Okay Ray, I'm coming." We jump down to the ground, and head for the Junk 'N Stuff.

We arrive at the Man Cave. Gooch is sitting in the chair by the monitors, and he turns around to greet us.
"What's up Gooch?" Ray asks, as we walk towards him.
"Two old friends of yours want to talk to you, and your new sidekick," Gooch replies, in that accent of his. Ray pauses.
"What do they want? They've been retired for 5 years now." I look back and forth between the two of them. I have no idea what's going on.

"Hey! Anybody want to tell me, 'your new sidekick', what's going on?" I ask.
"They're used to be a pair of superheroes that helped to protect Swellview with me," Ray says.
"How come I've never heard of them then?" I ask.
"They retired to take care of their kid. The 'Terrific Two' were the best of the best. And you've never heard of them because everyone in Swellview had their memories erased, to protect their identities," Ray tells me.
"The 'Terrific Two'? Really? That's the best they could come up with? And their identities? That almost sounds like Sparkly," I say to Ray. I mean, don't get me started on "Captain Man", but come on, that's even worse.

(A/N Has anybody else noticed how it's 'Captain MAN' and 'Ray MANchester?' Idk if there's a connection, but yeah.)

"I don't think they came up with it," Ray explains. "And they didn't like it either, but they couldn't change it."
"Oh." I feel myself blush in embarrasse meant. "Well, where are they?" I ask, looking around.
"They'll wait until Sparkly's here. And it will likely just be a video conference," Ray says.
"Fine," I mutter. To be perfectly honest, I'm Ray's real sidekick, I don't know why WE have to wait for HER.

"Hey, Henry?" Ray asks.
"Yeah?"
"What were you saying about your friend being Sparkly?"
"That I think that she is!" I reply, frustrated.
"Do you have any proof?" Ray asks pointedly.
"Well, no," I reply.
"Then she's probably not. Besides, I promised we wouldn't look. So no snooping!" Ray scolds me. I scowl. Are you kidding me? Ray's the one that needs to be scolded sometimes. Honestly, I don't know how he managed before me!
Let's just say, I'm not really in a modest mood right now.

An alert flashes on one of the monitors.
"Looks like Sparkly's on route," I grumble, still unhappy.
"I wonder what kept her, I beeped her as soon as we left your house," Ray adds, ignoring the tone in my voice.

I go and sit down on the couch, propping my feet up on the seat next to me. I'm just going to chill until Sparkly gets here. I randomly start thinking about Sarah. She's one of the few girls that I haven't seen making googly eyes in the halls or in class. She's honestly so hard to figure out. I'm pretty sure I saw her doodling "Alex" in her notebook last week. But she's usually pretty forthcoming with information, so I don't think she has a secret boyfriend, or something though.

Finally, the elevator dings, and Sparkly walks in. Now I'll find out who the "Terrific Two" are.