Chapter 32

Henry's POV
*Next day at school*

I close my locker forcefully. I feel a little bad about what I said to Sarah, but I think it was justified. True, I hadn't gone out of my way to express myself to her, but sometimes she treated me like an idiot, and I'm worried that it'll continue if we have a relationship, and an abusive relationship is not a good one. I sigh, contemplating it.

Jasper walks up to my locker to greet me. I feel bad, I haven't hung out with him in awhile.
"Henry! Let's go bowling!" He exclaims randomly. I grin.
"Why?"
"Because...." Jasper pauses to roll his eyes. "....It's glow in the dark night!" He points to someone I can't see, and the lights go dark. Jasper's outfit starts to glow like crazy, he also begins to dance like crazy.

I grab his shoulders.
"Jasper!"
"What?" He stops dancing and the lights come back on.
"Tonight then? Bowling?"
"Yeah!" He turns around and runs off. What weird but great friends I have. The show ends just in time for the girls to show up.

"Hey, Hen." Charlotte says. "You left before all of us this morning." She motions to Sarah and Debbie.
"Yeah, I forgot I had to uhhh, meet up with Jasper. To umm, discuss our bowling plans for tonight!" I quickly come up with.

"Oh, okay." Charlotte replies, giving me weird look. "But shouldn't we be a bit more concerned about our jobs?" She questions, fixing me with a pointed look. I shrug it off.
"I'm down to help however possible, but I don't know how to, and I still gotta be a friend to Jasper and do fun stuff." I point out. "Call me with how I can help and I will. I'll see you in class." I turn and walk away, in the direction of the cafeteria, but I'll loop back around to class, making it look like o had something to do when all I really want to do, is avoid Sarah.

I decide to actually go to the cafeteria and get some food since I barely ate in my rush to get out the door. I stand in line for a few minutes, waiting my turn. I get a muffin, and find a spot at a table. I still have 15 minutes before class starts, so that's plenty of time to eat.

"Henry." Sarah's voice comes out of nowhere, scaring me to death. I can confirm that I jumped. She sits down across from me.

"I get that things are kinda weird between us, but we are still good friends and we have to work together. Can we please just focus on that and forget everything else?" She looks at me  with pleading eyes. But there's also the wisdom reflecting in them. As weird as that sounds for a girl the same age as me.

I pause for a second, to think. I mull it over. What she's saying makes sense, but at the same time, I don't think I can do what she asks. At this point, I sorta want a relationship, but I'm super hesitant.

I finish my muffin before speaking, leaving lots of awkward silence.
"Okay Sarah, here's the thing, I like you, but I don't know if I want a relationship. I thought I did, but now, I'm not sure. There's a lot of things that go into that and I don't want anything to get messed up. So I'm sorry, but I can't just do that, I'm going to be distant and awkward and I can't fix it, so you'll have to suck it up I guess. I'm really sorry." My voice level rose with each word. I'm sure the whole caf heard a good portion of that. Probably wondering when middle school kids had this much relationship drama. But they don't really have our lifestyle if you know what I mean.

Sarah is just staring at me in disbelief. I feel instantly bad. But then, Sarah's face turns from one of shock and hurt, to one of anger.
"You're an ass!" She yells. "Don't give me this crap about not wanting a relationship because things could get messed up so now you're acting like we can't even be friends! Things are already different and messed up idiot! Look around! You may think I led YOU on, but I think you'll find it's a two-way streak! You have no right to simply decide we can't be friends just because of an awkward situation that YOU caused!" Her face is scrunched up, and I can see she's trying not to cry.