Chapter 6

Sarah's POV

I got changed on the way here, so I'm already in my costume—consisting of spandex and a mask.

I really hate that stupid elevator, the ride is painful.

The doors slide open with a hiss. I climb out. Even though I hate the elevator ride, it actually doesn't affect me much, so I'm able to walk just fine.

Captain Man and Kid Danger appear to be arguing about something. I mean, I'm not sure, because Captain Man is dancing around while singing something I can't make out, and Kid Danger is just standing there awkwardly. It actually looks like he might be blushing underneath that red mask of his.

"Um. Hi," I say, looking down at my feet.

I won't tell anybody this, and I'll probably kill anybody that finds out. But the real reason I'm so shy when I'm costumed, isn't because I'm shy or quiet, like Captain Man probably thinks. It's honestly because I'm out of my comfort zone.

The chances that me—some normal kid—ends up getting to work with Captain Man and Kid Danger are so slim that I feel very insecure about it.

I'm also really afraid of messing up, that's why I don't want to be on camera. If someone were to figure out who I am, and I mess up, I'll be a laughingstock. So it's definitely better that I remain unknown.

Captain Man and Kid Danger stop whatever the heck they were doing.
"Sparkly! Great, you're here!" Captain Man walks over to me. He hands me something and I look down at my hand to investigate it.

It's a watch like Kid Danger's. I look back up at him, confused. I already have a way of communicating with him.
"What's this?" I ask.
"Yeah, why are you giving her a watch?" Kid Danger asks, looking kind of hurt.

"This is a lot easier to use then your current device. Besides, it's harder to lose. He looks at me pointedly and I blush.
"Right," I say, remembering that I had lost my other device last week, and had missed out on an important mission, where my help really could have been useful.

When I was younger, I had done gymnastics and martial arts. So when it came down to fighting, I was usually on-point, and the mission I had missed ended up including chasing some crazy guy's ninja minions through a gymnastics training facility. Or so I had heard.
What are the chances of something like that?

I secure the watch firmly around my wrist. I'm not about to lose it too. I look back up from putting it on my wrist and notice that Kid Danger is staring at me. Cause that's totally not creepy.

I stare back, until he realizes, and turns away, clearly embarrassed. Captain Man doesn't seem to notice.

"All right, let's go," he says to us. I walk up to Kid Danger's tube, and tap my belt buckle, same as they do. The only difference is, instead of building another tube, Kid Danger and I share one. It's a weird configuration, that involves me going up first, and then he and Captain Man come up together afterwards. I'm pretty sure Captain Man was just too lazy to build another tube, but whatever.
"Up the tube!" I yell.

That has to be my favourite part of the job. Besides kicking people's butts, of course. I can be very violent, and aggressive.