Chapter 5

Henry's POV

Charlotte and I hurry into Junk 'n Stuff. As we run by on the way to the elevator I can't see Gooch sitting at his spot behind the counter, but I don't have time to think about it as Charlotte and I enter the elevator.

She hits the button, and we start plummeting down at an extremely fast pace, as if we were a spaceship coming back into earth's atmosphere.
I really hate this part.

When we finally reach the Man Cave, Charlotte and I fall to the floor of the elevator with a loud thud.
"Oof" I hear Charlotte say. The doors slide open, and we stand and scramble out, still a little uneasy on our feet, thanks to the wonderful ride down here.

"Henry! Charlotte! Where've you been?" Ray asks, standing up from where he was sitting on the couch.

"Oh, I don't know, working on a project. Cause school is kind of important!" I exclaim, rolling my eyes.

Honestly, Ray can be really annoying sometimes.

"Anyways," Charlotte interrupts. "What did you want Ray?" she asks, looking at him.
"Right! Suit up Henry! We've gotta go stop a robbery at a perfume store!" I frown.

"Perfume store? Like 'Smell Me, I'm Wonderful'?" I ask.
"Yes that's it!" Rays says. "Now hurry up, according to my tracker, Sparkly's almost here!"

Wanting to avoid another argument with Ray, I quickly pull out my gum and blow a bubble. Ray's already changed, so he doesn't need to outfit himself using sugary candy.

"Now, what were you saying about tracking Sparkly?" I ask. If he can track her, does that mean he's tracking me too?
That's not a pleasant thought.

"I have to track her, to make sure we're in costume when she gets here since, she can't find out who we are!" Ray replies, looking somewhat agitated.
"And why can't she know who we are?" I ask, beginning to feel frustrated.

I'm still not clear on why it is that she can't know, even though she's been working for us for awhile now.
"When she joined, I made a deal with her, we wouldn't find out who she was, and she wouldn't find out who we were," Ray explains.
"That's stupid," I say flatly.
"It wasn't my idea Henry!" Ray exclaims.

I'm pretty sure I've struck some kind of nerve, maybe something to do with secret identities.

"She refused to say who she was. And wouldn't let me say who we were."
"Wait, you've seen her face?" I ask, my jaw drops.
"Well of course! You think she was wearing the mask when I found her?" Ray says sarcastically.

"Well, can I see a picture of her?" I ask. I really want to see what this girl looks like. To me, the fact that she's so shy is kind of cute. But how am I supposed to know if the feeling is mutual, if she won't even look me in the eye?

Ray looks at me, he seems to be thinking about it.
"I don't have a picture, just some security footage I think." He pauses as if thinking it over, but I'm not sure what he's waiting for. "But I don't think I can show it to you, sorry bud, I made a deal."
"You made a deal with a 13 year old girl who can barely look at you when she speaks?" I ask. It comes out harsher then I meant it to.

"A promise is a promise Henry. You of all people should know that." He looks at me pointedly.

Normally you wouldn't see this harsher, sterner side of Ray. But I think this is really stressing him out.

Then all of a sudden he grins. "Why are you so set on seeing a picture of her? Huh?" I start blushing, I hope my mask hides it though. "You got a crush on her, Henry?" Ray asks, raising his eyebrows questioningly. He still has that grin on his face.
"What? Who? Me? Nahhh," I say, trying to play it off casually.
"Sure," Rays says, dragging out the word.

I shake my head, but Ray starts singing and dancing around. "Henry has a crush! Henry has a crush!" I'm about to give up hope that he'll ever stop, when the elevator dings.

Saved by the bell! I think to myself.

Charlotte runs out of the room, since she can't risk being recognized.

Sucks for her that she doesn't have a costume. I grin at the thought of seeing her in a sparkly costume. She'd probably kill me if I suggested it.