Chapter 23

Sarah's POV

Ray pulls his SUV into my driveway. I start to bite my lip worriedly. I'm not sure how this is going to go, and it could very likely go downhill fast.

"You ready?" Ray asks.
"I guess." I shrug. "Thanks for the ride." I say, before getting out. I carefully close the door.

Henry and Charlotte follow me up the path to my front door. I punch in the code and open the door.

"Mom? Dad? I'm home!" I yell.
"In the kitchen!" My mom yells back.

I walk with my friends into the kitchen. My parents are waiting, standing at the counter. I walk up to centre island and stand behind it.

My parents and I kind of stare at each other evenly. Neither of us are sure what to say, or wanting to make the first move.

"So..." My mom finally starts.
"So..?" I reply.
"Sarah, I'll just cut to the chase. How much do you know? And you can't pretend you know nothing, we saw the damage downstairs. As well as some interesting computer settings?"

I think know what she's implying.

"So you're superheroes, what's the big deal?" I say casually, hiding my emotions.
"How do you know about it then? Everyone's memories were erased. Who've you been talking to Sarah?" My dad demands.
"It doesn't matter. That doesn't mean anything." I roll my eyes.
"Yes it does!" My mom says insistently. "No one was supposed to know, to keep you safe! I'm sure your friends know now to! So the question remains Sarah, who?" My mom frowns.

Both my parents are staring at me intently. They're not going to let this go at all. Ever.

"No one!" I say again, exasperated.
"Sarah! Don't lie!" My father snaps. "Maybe you'd also like to explain why Kid Danger and Sparkly used the tubes and the flying car?" My dad adds.

I bite my lip, a nervous habit of mine.

"No answer? Didn't think so." My dad says. He's angry, but also slightly triumphant.

Henry steps forward, looking as if he's ready to say something in my defence. But I hold up my hand to stop him.

"You want the truth?" I reply, trying to act unfazed.

"Yes, I do." my dad replies.

"Fine." I take a deep breath.
"Sarah." Henry says warningly.
"Sarah what are you doing?" Charlotte hisses.
"Guys, I know what I'm doing." I reply, silencing them.

"I have friends," I start, making Henry and Charlotte look nervous. "that are great with computers." I finish.

"Oh. Is that all?" My mom questions. I can't tell if she believes me or not.
"Yeah mom. It's pretty simple." I answer curtly. "Oh, and I'm Batman!" I exclaim sarcastically. I wave my arms in the air dramatically. My mom frowns at me angrily.

"Sarah, why is there a car parked in our driveway?" My dad ask suddenly.
"It's my boss." I say.
"Why is he still here?" My dad's not giving up.
"Because he's going to drive Henry and Charlotte home after they're done here. I assumed this wouldn't take long." I snap back, getting extremely frustrated.

"Well you'd be wrong. Your friends can't go anywhere until their memories have been erased. We might even have to erase yours!" My dad yells.
"Hey! You can't just erase their brains!" I yell back. "You might accidentally wipe important stuff out! Like from our job, our boss would get mad." I realize I slipped up at the end, and I turn a shade of white.

"Wait, your boss?" My mom says suddenly. "I just realized we never met him! Who is he Sarah? Why would he get mad about stuff from work? Is he some kind of super villain? Oh my god!" She shrieks.

"Mom! Calm down! It's not any super villain! Why would it be a super villain! I WORK AT A JUNK SHOP!" I exclaim.
"A lot of them use that as a cover." My dad looks at me accusingly. "You might not even know it!" My dad is glaring at me now. "Sarah you're quitting your job, and we're erasing your brain. Come on!" My parents start to move towards me to grab us.

"No!" I shriek. "You can't do this!" I say. At the same time, I swing my arm out furiously in protest. I hear a loud whine and the tips of my fingers suddenly feel tingly.

The next thing I know, the glass vase of flowers sitting on the table, shatters into a million pieces. We all jump back, and everyone stares at me. I look down at my hand.

Did I do that somehow?

"Sarah, did you do that?" My mom asks, keeping her tone calm, but her face showing how scared she is.
"I don't know." I answer mildly, hiding how nervous I am now. I don't want to accidentally hurt someone.
"Sarah come on, let's go talk about this." my dad says encouragingly. Both my parents are getting closer.

"No! You stay the heck away from me!" I say, waving my hand in front of me. I'm not sure how well this will work since they have powers too, but I'm going to try it.

They've stopped dead in their tracks.
"Sarah, be careful! You don't know what you're doing." my mom warns.
"I know exactly what I'm doing." I answer calmly. "I'm going to get some freedom since you've always been so protective." I'm slowly inching towards the front door.

"Sarah, you need us to help figure this out." my dad persists.
"Nope, I don't." I answer coldly. I've made it to the door and I open it without looking behind me.
"Sarah. Stop. Think about what you're doing. There are a lot of people that will want to take you, examen you, use you, for what you can do." my mom tries.

I take a few steps outside, my parents still unsure about what to do.
"Exactly. That's why I'm leaving to somewhere no one can hurt me, and I can't hurt anyone!" I exclaim, and turn around, taking off running.

"Sarah?" I hear Ray question. He'd gotten out of his car when he saw me at the door. I don't bother answering him as I keep running faster, and faster.
"Sarah! Come back!" I hear my parents and friends yelling after me, but I'm not stopping, and I'm not going to look back either.

I run for maybe half an hour, until it's dark out. I collapse behind some bushes in Swellview park. It's closed for the night, so I should be okay.

I scaled the ten foot fence to get in here, so I'd like to see anybody else try that to get to me.. It wasn't exactly easy. Or fun, for that matter.

I curl up in a ball and try to sleep. I must be exhausted from today, cause I'm soon fast asleep.