Chapter 37

Sarah's POV

Alright so here's what's new. Many months have passed and we've heard nothing from the Superhero Commission Board, President Kickbutt, or even the villains themselves.

A lot of things have changed though. Jasper knows all about everyone and everything now, we got to meet Phoebe and Max Thunderman, which was pretty darn cool, oh, and Henry has powers now. Weird right? His augmented reflexes can compete with my boosted ones from having super speed and I have to say it is not fun to have competition from your best friend. I was supposed to be the cool one, but now he's trying to steal my thunder.

I did however embrace being Swellview's newest sidekick, with my parents trying desperately to keep me in check. They're always going on and on about the fact that no one knows about me outside of my friends and family, and if the Superhero Commission Board were to find out about me and my powers they'd make me register and my name would be on the list the villains want. So obviously my parents don't want that.

They've been trying to train me so I can use my powers without making it obvious I have them. That means anytime I use them I have to make it subtle. Some of my powers I'm not even allowed to use, my parents have forbidden me. Yeah, it's as stupid as it sounds.

Want to know one more weird thing that's happened?
Jasper and Debbie.
They hang out ALL THE TIME. Nothing's been confirmed, and they deny it anytime someone asks them, but Charlotte, Henry, and I are convinced, and are 98% sure that they're dating. So that's what new, all weird right?

***

"Sarah please quit writing in your diary!" Henry exclaims, throwing one of the couch cushions at me using his hyper motility. I knock it away before it hits my face, using my own super speedy reflexes.
"It's not a diary, it's a journal," I sigh, rolling my eyes. "I swear if you call it that one more time you won't be able to open your jaw again afterwards." He in turn rolls his eyes at me.
"I think you're forgetting I can compete with your abilities now," Henry says, throwing me a wicked smile.
"Uh no, you're able to keep away from me and my abilities like a coward, that doesn't count as competing with," I say. Henry makes a noise that sounds like sarcastic snort. I watch him as he turns away from me to open his math textbook. The two of us were supposed to be studying for our test tomorrow, since we share the same class. But we hadn't made much progress as of yet. Thankfully the class wasn't taught by Ms. Shapen, and we could survive the day without a weird outburst from our teacher.

"You can stop kidding yourself Hen, I know you're not studying. As a matter of fact neither am I," I say, giving him a sideways glance from my spot at the other end of the couch.

We're in the basement, since my parents have a long standing, 'no boys in your room' rule, even as friends.
"Oh so we're kidding ourselves are we?" Henry asks, raising an eyebrow.
"Why does that sound like a rhetorical question?" I ask.
"Well I thought we could finally start studying since you were done writing in your diary," he says. He gives me an emotionless look, but I can tell he's suppressing a grin.
"JOURNAL!" I yell. I lunge at him aiming for his mouth with my fist, but he uses his abilities to move out of the way. I end up falling into his lap with my shoulder, having been knocked off balance. He glances down at me and he blushes since I'm lying in his lap. Realizing it myself, I bolt upright, with a blush creeping across my own face.

It remains awkward and silent between us for a few moments, and then Henry offers me a crooked smile.
"Well, looks like I can get out of the way of your fist huh," He says to me.
"Yeah I guess so," I say, trying to keep my voice even.

Although Henry and I agreed to be friends, we always seem to end up in the weirdest situations. This one included.

"It's 10 P.M. now Sarah, I should probably be headed home soon," Henry says, he says it so quietly it almost sounds like a whisper. I check my watch, and sure enough he's right.
"I didn't realize it was so late!" I exclaim.
"Yeah," Henry says, with a subdued smile. He gets up off the couch and starts packing up his things. He places his textbook, notebook, and pencil case in his bag, and swings it up over his shoulders.