Chapter 24

Henry's POV

I stand there in shock. I don't know what to do. Sarah just ran out of the door after smashing a vase WITH HER POWERS. I think her parents are in shock too. They haven't moved since Sarah ran out the door.

Just then, Ray comes running in.
"Where was Sarah going?" He exclaims. "What happened?" He demands. He surveys the scene and notices the smashed vase. "Did Sarah do that?" He asks.

"Yeah." Charlotte answers quietly. Ray seems to clue in that she didn't just punch the vase.

He turns to Sarah's parents.
"You look like you've seen a ghost." He says, acting unfazed.
"Maybe we have." Sarah's mom replies timidly.

"Why do you care? How do you even know Sarah?" Sarah's dad snaps angrily.
"I'm her boss. And right now it looks like I care more than you." Ray replies, getting kinda sassy.

"You're her boss?" Sarah's mom says, her eyes narrowing in realization. "But you're...." She stops herself, and starts gaping at Ray. "What have you done! Do you realize what you've put her through? CAPTAIN MAN!" She emphasizes the last part, indicating she knows who Ray is. "And we do care! We care very much!" She snaps.

"Wait! It's you!" Sarah's dad exclaims, finally realizing who Ray is. "You mean to tell me Sarah, is 'Sparkly'?" He sounds angry.

I grab Charlotte's arm and start backing away, towards the door. I don't feel like getting in the middle of this fight. It looks like it could get nasty pretty soon.

"Charlotte. Henry. You're not going anywhere." Ray admonishes without turning around. We freeze, surprised he noticed us even with his back to us.

"Oh let me guess, you're Kid Danger." Sarah's dad says, pointing to me. "And you're the other girl who was there today right? 'Hero Gal' or something?" He adds, gesturing to Charlotte.

We don't know what to do, so we wait for Ray's lead.

"It doesn't matter who they are, the fact stands, Sarah just ran away and we have no idea where!" Ray says.
"That's very true, but you're the one who made her a sidekick! You know how much we've tried to keep her safe. Why on earth would you do this?" Sarah's mom says accusatorially.
"I didn't know who she was until the other day!" Ray snaps back. "And it's not like she gave me a choice about giving her a job." Ray seems to ponder something.

"How did she not give you a choice?" Sarah's mom rolls her eyes, as if she doesn't believe Ray.

"Well, you may have tried extremely hard to keep her away from 'the superhero lifestyle'," Ray starts. He makes air quotations at the superhero part. "But she sure wasn't interested in your ideas for her, cause she came and found me!" Ray is winning this argument and he knows it.

"Found you?" Sarah's mom quizzes.

"I don't know what happened earlier that day, but I guess she was out wandering around, covered in sparkles." Ray begins.
"Wait! Is this the infamous story of Sparkly?" I ask quickly.
"Yep."
"Cool. I'm finally gonna get to hear it." I grin.
"You will, if you stop talking." Ray says, looking at me pointedly. I bite my tongue.

"Anyways, I guess she saw me finishing up at a fight, and must have been super interested in me, cause she followed me back to the Man Cave." Ray shakes his head, as if he's thinking back to the events of that day.

"Another person followed me too, one of the guys that I had been fighting." Ray pauses to let that sink in. "My back was turned and the guy was going to attack me. Before he could, Sarah ran up and took him out. Scared me to death, but she was extremely effective. However, she'd also found the location of the Man Cave, I couldn't just let her walk away. So I offered her a job." Ray explains. I wait for him to continue to explain the sparkles part, but he doesn't.