YEAR ONE: Chapter Sixteen

It was official, Rapunzel hated exams.

Of course, it didn't help that the classrooms were sweltering hot and there were hardly any windows to let some air in. But in general, Rapunzel hated exams.

She was much better at tasks many wizards often associated with Muggles, things that weren't academic. She loved to paint, to sew, to draw. She was the artsy type, not writing what she desperately tried to remember on parchment until her hand cramped.

"That was far easier than I thought it'd be," Hermione said, sounding far more upbeat than the rest of them as they walked across the grounds. "I needn't have learnt about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager."

"I'm glad you had fun," Rapunzel grumbled bitterly, hearing Pascal squeak with agreement from where he rested on her shoulder.

"You didn't even have to take the exam!" Rapunzel said, looking at Pascal with a raised brow. He squeaked at her indignantly.

"You still hated it? Did you get bored? Thought so." Rapunzel chuckled at the frown on Pascal's face as he nestled into her hair.

They headed for a tree by the lake for shade. Well, Ron kind of flopped under the tree, sprawled out on the grass like a starfish. Rapunzel sat next to him, taking off her shoes since they were rubbing irritatingly on her feet, ditching her black robe by her side.

Rapunzel noticed Fred, George, and Lee tickling the tentacles of the giant squid, and she watched them with amusement.

Fred caught her gaze, and he flashed her a broad smile and a wave before returning to his shenanigans.

"No more revision," Ron sighed happily, stretching on the grass like a cat basking in the sun. "You could look more cheerful, Harry. We've got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet."

"I wish I knew what this means!" Harry exclaimed with frustration, rubbing fiercely at his scar. "My scar keeps hurting–it's happened before, but never as often at this."

Rapunzel shuffled so she was sitting next to Harry, moving his fringe to his side to get a better look at it.

"It's awfully red, Harry." Rapunzel observed, voice and hands gentle as to not irritate him more. "Looks more like it's been cut into your head now, almost looks like it's glowing."

"I think it's a warning, it means dangers' coming."

"That would make sense, it's magic, isn't it?" Rapunzel asked, smoothing his hair back over his forehead.

Ron did his best to reassure Harry that everything was fine, but Harry couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Rapunzel could see it was still bothering him, like he was searching his mind for something.

Suddenly, Harry shot to his feet.

"Where're you going?" Ron asked sleepily, being dragged to his feet by an equally confused Rapunzel.

"I've just thought of something," Harry said, already beginning to speed-walk away from them. "We've got to go and see Hagrid, now."

"Why?" Hermione asked, panting as she tried to keep up.

"You've got that look on your face again, Harry. What's going on?"

"Don't you think it's a bit odd," Harry started as he scrambled up the grassy slope, the other three on his heels. "–that what Hagrid wants more than anything else is a dragon, and a stranger turns up who just so happens to have a dragon egg in his pocket? How many people wander around with dragon eggs in their pocket if it's against wizard law? Why didn't I see it before?!"