YEAR TWO: CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"Let me introduce you to your new Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher: Me."

Rapunzel already wanted to throw up and Lockhart had only spoken a sentence. He always had this smug look on his face and the way he walked made Rapunzel at least 60% sure he actually had a stick up his ass.

"Gilderoy Lockhart: Order of Merlin's third class, honorary member of the Dark Force Defence League–"

"Merlin's beard, just shut up already." Rapunzel whispered, putting her head in her hands as she made eye contact with Ron, who looked equally as annoyed. She made a gagging face at him, and he managed to crack a grin.

"–and five times winner of Witch Weekly's most charming smile award."

I could literally not care less if I tried.

Rapunzel glanced beside her at Hermione to find that she was completely besotted by him, gazing at him dreamily with a giddy smile and flushed cheeks. Somehow the urge to puke grew stronger.

"But I don't talk about that–"

Rapunzel audibly snorted but quickly covered it up with a cough when Hermione elbowed her side.

"–I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at it." He let out a really awkward, clearly forced laugh as he strained his face. It was clear he was really trying to show off his smile, which made him look like he was in pain.

Realizing no one was laughing with him, Lockhart quickly changed the subject. "I see all of you have bought a complete set of my books, well done."

Dead silence, no one spoke. Hermione and Susan Bones were the only ones enjoying this class. Everyone else stared at Lockhart with varying degrees of confusion and exasperation.

"Now I thought we'd start today with a little quiz...nothing to worry about, just to check how much you've read up; how much you've taken in."

"What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favourite colour?" Rapunzel read off the page, glancing at Hermione incredulously only to find that she had already filled out that question.

"You know too much about this guy," Rapunzel whispered.

"You have thirty minutes. Start...Now!"

Rapunzel let out a heavy, pained sigh as she grabbed her quill and filled out the questions. She mostly just put down stupid answers, since she didn't know any of these things. She also doodled.

Thirty painstaking minutes passed before he collected all of the quizzes and rifled through them.

"Tut tut, hardly any of you remembered my favourite colour is lilac." He chided. "But Miss Hermione Granger knew that my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of haircare potions."

"Hardly a secret now, is it?" Rapunzel interjected with a poorly hidden smile, and Lockhart glared daggers at her for a moment before ignoring her and turning his gaze back to Hermione.

"Good girl." He winked.

Okay, now Rapunzel was definitely gonna puke.

"Now, be warned! It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizard kind." He tapped his wand against a blanketed object and it shook violently.

"You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room–"

Already fought a man with Voldemort on the back of his head. Can't imagine it gets much worse.

"–know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. I must ask you not to scream, it might provoke them!" He ripped the blanket away, revealing a tiny birdcage filled to the brim with pissed off Pixies.

"Cornish pixies?" Seamus laughed.

"Freshly caught Cornish pixies! Laugh if you will, Mr Finnegan. But know that Pixies can be devilishly tricky little blighters...let's see what you make of them."

The room erupted in panicked shouts and screams as Lockhart released the Pixies into the classroom, letting them wreak havoc.

"What were you thinking?!" Rapunzel exclaimed to a frightened Lockhart who was clearly regretting his decision.

"Please, get me down!" Neville cried from where he hung by the collar on the chandelier.

Rapunzel would've helped but she was being swarmed, several were pulling her hair and others were scratching her.

"Rapunzel, hold still!" Harry shouted over the chaos.

"Hard to when I'm covered in Pixies!"

There was a loud THUD as Harry smacked away some of them with a book, the others fleeing to avoid him.

"I'll just ask you four to nip them back into their cage." Lockhart said before fleeing into his office and locking the door.

"Oi! Get back down here you coward!"

"Oh, forget him! What do we do now?" Ron asked, desperately looking around for any solution.

"Immobulus!" Hermione saved the day once again, pointing her wand at the cluster of Pixies. They all froze like dolls in the air, floating around gently.

The room was silent besides the sounds of their heavy breathing as they gathered themselves.

"Still like Lockhart now?" Rapunzel asked sarcastically, picking herself off the floor.

Rapunzel suddenly remembered that Neville was still dangling from the chandelier and locked eyes with him.

"Why is it always me?"