YEAR ONE: Chapter Eighteen

The hallway was eerily quiet besides their footsteps and the gentle trickling of water down a sloping passage. As they continued down the hallway, they heard a strange fluttering.

"Can you hear something?" Ron whispered, grabbing the sleeve of Rapunzel's sweater for comfort.

The fluttering was accompanied by a soft clinking sound and gentle rustling.

"Do you think it's a ghost?" Rapunzel asked, only half joking.

"It sounds like wings."

At the end of the passageway was a brilliantly-lit chamber with a large, arching ceiling. They gazed in awe as glittering birds soared around the room. One on the other side of the chamber was a heavy wooden door.

"Do you think they'll attack us if we try to cross?" Ron asked, looking alarmed.

"I'm not willing to risk it, I'd rather not face a death-by-pecking." Rapunzel whispered back, clutching Ron's sweater back.

"I don't think we have much choice," Harry frowned. "We all go at once, alright?"

Rapunzel sighed in exasperation, knowing Harry was right.

Harry was the first to start running, the other three sprinting after him. They shielded their faces as they felt sharp scratches against their skin and clothes before suddenly being left alone when they reached the door.

Harry pulled at the handle, but the door wouldn't budge. The others joined him in pulling, hoping it would force the door open, but no luck.

Rapunzel pulled out her wand and aimed it at the door, looking over her shoulder to ensure that the birds wouldn't come and attack them again.

"Alohamora!"

Nothing.

"Alohamora!"

Nothing again.

"Alohamor—oh, forget it. Enchantment's too strong." Rapunzel groaned, slamming her fist against the door. It sent pain shooting up her arm, and she winced as she shook out her hand.

"Well, what do we do now?" Ron asked, looking about the room. He was audibly nervous.

"These birds clearly aren't here for decoration," Hermione hummed. "They attacked us. They're guarding it."

Something occurred to Rapunzel, the birds were glittering. Glittering? Even magical birds didn't glitter, and the ones who did were likely much larger than these ones.

"They're not birds!" Harry said suddenly, voicing Rapunzel's thoughts. "They're keys...winged keys! That must mean there's a broom somewhere," his gaze trailed across the room, eyes lighting up when he saw several broomsticks.

"We have to catch it," Rapunzel realized. "We have to catch the key that unlocks the door. It'll probably stand out, check the keyhole."

Ron kneeled down by the door to inspect the lock, one eye squinted shut.

"It's ancient, looking for a big and equally as ancient key. It'll probably be silver, like the handle." Ron observed.

Harry seized a broomstick and launched himself into the air, and shockingly the keys didn't attack him this time. It seemed they had calmed down and had grown accustomed to his presence.

Rapunzel watched anxiously, worried that the keys would attack at any moment and cause Harry to fall off his broom. There had been too many close-calls, and she wasn't keen on another one.

"That one!" Harry's voice was almost booming, echoing off the walls. "Bright blue wings, all crumpled!"

It seemed as though the keys could somehow hear them, beginning to scitter off. Despite its wings being crumpled it was still surprisingly fast.

Rapunzel waved her wand over one of her braids, letting the hair cascade onto the floor behind her. She grabbed a handful and whipped it towards the key, the hair wrapping tightly around it as she pulled it towards her.

She quite easily caught it in her hands and it stopped struggling. A wide grin spread across her face as she looked up to meet Harry's gaze.

"Holy s–" Ron was abruptly cut off by Hermione smacking him upside the head, and he whined; running the back of his head.

"Ever thought of being a seeker?" Harry laughed as he descended towards the ground and hopped off the broom.

"No way, I'm terrified of heights."