YEAR TWO: CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"For some reason I don't think scotch tape is going to fix your wand, Ron." Rapunzel stated with a deadpan expression, nibbling on a pumpkin pastry. She liked those quite a bit and was trying to restore her appetite by starting with those.

Ron sighed, looking defeated.

"Say it: I'm doomed."

"You're doomed." Harry obliged, looking sympathetic but just the tiniest bit amused. Ron glared over at him, not expecting him to actually go along with it.

"Hey, Harry!"

Harry was blinded by a loud camera flash, blinking a few times to regain his senses and process what was happening around him.

"I'm Colin Creevey, I'm a Gryffindor too!" A blonde boy with large eyes and an enthusiastic expression appeared from behind a large hand-held camera.

"Hi, Colin. Nice to meet you." Harry greeted awkwardly, not entirely sure what to do in this situation.

The loud shrieking of an owl interrupted the conversation, and several heads turned to see whose it was.

"Ron, is that your owl?" Dean asked, and Ron's expression morphed to one of panic. He already knew that he was in trouble. For what, Rapunzel wasn't sure.

Despite the owl's graceful entrance, it didn't quite have a graceful landing; crashing into a bowl and spilling its contents all over the table. At least it wasn't soup.

"Bloody birds a menace," Ron groaned, ignoring the laughter from Malfoy and his cronies.

Rapunzel reached out to gently stroke the owl as it recovered and Ron reached for the bright red envelope clenched in its beak.

"Oh no!" Ron whimpered, voice-cracking.

Rapunzel recognized the stark red envelope and winced. "Oh no." She mirrored.

"Look everyone! Weasley's got himself a howler!" Seamus teased, causing several outbursts of laughter.

"Bugger off, Seamus." Rapunzel frowned.

"Go on, Ron." Neville gently egged him on. "I ignored one from my gran once...it was horrible."

The entire great hall watched eagerly as Ron took a shaky breath and slowly began to open the Howler.

"RONALD WEASLEY!"

"Oh dear." Rapunzel whispered.

The Howler seemed to gain a life of its own, hovering in the air and unfurling into a mouth with teeth and a paper tongue.

"HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR? I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME!"

The Howler stopped shouting for a moment and turned to face Ginny, who looked like she would rather disappear than be acknowledged.

"Oh and Ginny, dear. Congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud."

The Howler turned back to Ron, blew a very papery raspberry, and shredded itself up.

The hall was dead silent for a moment, no one dared to speak. Ron looked a shade paler than normal and kind of like he was going to throw up.

"You stole a car?!"