YEAR TWO: CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

The group of four eventually came to a strange door, it's lock made of several snakes confined to deep grooves in the metal.

"What now?" Fred asked hopelessly. None of them could ever dream of opening that with brute force alone, not even reducto was getting that door open.

Harry began to speak, although not in English. Not any human language at all. He spoke Parseltongue, getting closer to the door.

"Open!"

As the snakes began to retract, Fred hummed in surprise.

"Ah."

The door opened with the shriek of metal, echoing throughout the cavern in a way that made Rapunzel wince.

"World's loudest door," George grumbled, pulling his wand from his pocket as he saw Harry do the same.

Apprehensively, they went through the door and entered the chamber, following Harry down the rusted ladder.

The floor was wet, a single path flanked by pools of dark green, almost black water on both sides. Whoever decorated the place was very fond of snakes, snake head sculptures lining the walls.

In the distance was a sculpture of the bearded man Rapunzel had sketched in her journal, and in front of the sculpture was Ginny.

She wasn't moving.

"Ginny!"

Fred and George sprinted, not caring about the possibility that they might slip on the wet floor. Harry and Rapunzel weren't far behind, dropping to their knees by Ginny's side.

"Ginny, wake up. Wake up!" George cried, smoothing a hand over his little sister's hair.

"She's so cold," Fred whispered despairingly. "Please, Ginny. Wake up, please."

"She won't wake."

They hadn't been expecting another's presence, especially not that of another student.

A young man, perhaps in his seventh year. Tidy black hair, sharp features yet a gentle expression. Slytherin robes. A very composed air about him despite the situation.

"Tom? Tom Riddle?" Harry asked, recognition flashing across his face. Rapunzel looked at him in confusion.

She knew that name. But from where?

"What do you mean she won't wake?" Harry asked desperately, although slightly reassured by Tom's presence. "She's not–"

"She's still alive," Tom assured him. "But only just."

"Are you a ghost?" Harry asked, prompting another confused look not just from Rapunzel, but from Fred and George too.

"A memory, preserved in a diary for fifty years."

"That's an awful long time," Fred frowned. He didn't seem entirely trusting of this man, and who could blame him?

Harry turned his attention back to Ginny, touching her hand. "She's cold as ice...Ginny, wake up. Please. Your brothers are here, they're here to bring you home."

"You've got to help us, Tom, there's a basilisk." Harry pleaded.

"It's petrified our friends," Rapunzel added. "It won't stop until we do something. We need any help we can get."

"It won't come until it's called." Tom stated confidently. Too confidently. How did he know that?

Glancing up, Rapunzel was shocked to find Tom was holding a wand. Harry's wand, and he was keeping it from him.