26: Backstories

"Happy birthday!" I exclaimed once we had walked down the stairs and approached their table. The restaurant was in the basement of the building, with low lighting circulating the room, tables illuminated by a single light coming through the exhaust fans hovering over each hot plate. 

Lukas's eyes went wide as I extended his present to him. "Did you get me something?"

I nodded, grinning. "Hope you like it. Ben helped me."

Lukas, bewildered, looked to Ben, who shrugged. "She insisted even though I tried to talk her out of it."

He peered into the bag, seeing the game title, a smile spreading across his face. "I've been wanting to play that one." He looked up at me. "Thanks Ollie. I haven't had a birthday present since... gosh. I don't even know. It's been more than fifty years."

My eyes narrowed as I took my seat between Ben and Erica. "How old are you now?"

"One hundred and forty-seven."

"You're ancient!" I exclaimed, a little too loudly.

Everyone around the table began to laugh though.

"There's many older than me, Ollie," he said.

"When was your dad born, if you don't mind me asking?"

"1702. And uncle Rüdy was born in 1650."

"No way," I gasped.

"You're adorable, Ollie," Erica commented.

My shocked expression turned to her, falling into the depths of her eyes. "No you're adorable."

She wrapped her arm around my shoulder. "Ben, I love her. Don't ever scare her away."

"I'm doing my best not to." His hand found my knee under the table and we shared a smile.

Erica leaned into my ear and whispered, "Are you two official yet? Ben has been fussing about how to ask you all day..."

Blushing, I gave a small nod.

As I looked up, Lukas's eyes caught my gaze. A warmth in his brown eyes that felt so friendly and familiar... But before I could pin where I had seen it before, it disappeared. "Many reasons to celebrate tonight then. Shall we get a round of drinks?"

Ben shook his head. "You know I don't drink."

"Ollie?" Lukas turned to me.

"I could go for one."

He called over the waiter and ordered a round of drinks for the table as well as some food.

"So Ollie," Jayce suddenly said. "We were wondering... do you know where in Ireland this activation circle is?"

"Jayce," Ben said in a warning tone.

"What?" Erica asked in her brother's defence.

"Leave her alone for once," Ben said.

Erica shook her head. "We've done nothing to earn your distrust. That was all you and Jade who messed things up. Besides, you know Ollie is going to be one of my best friends soon enough."

I threw her a raised eyebrow.

"I've seen it, love," she whispered to me. "I do predictions at the beginning of each month."

Smiling, I looked down. "No, I don't know where the activation circle is."

"Is there a way you can find out?" Jayce asked.

"Maybe?"

"Guys, lay off," Ben threatened again.

"You lay off," Lukas chimed in, a little grumpy now. He had been staying out until this point. "Ollie deserves to hear the full truth about everything and make her own decisions."