32: More, More, More

After I walked out of my final exam, I pulled my phone out, dialling Ben's number. He picked up straight away.

"Care to join me for a celebratory dinner?" I asked.

"I would love to," he said back. "Where shall I meet you?"

I gave him a location and made my way there. Thankfully, I wasn't waiting long. When he rounded the corner, my eyes landing on him, I couldn't help the smile spread cross my face at the sight of the bouquet of flowers in his hands.

"Congratulations," he said, giving me a peck on my cheek.

"Thank you," I whispered, caressing his face as I stared into his eyes.

He shook his head. "Don't thank me. It's the least I can do. I'm proud of you."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We don't know if I passed!"

We made our way into the restaurant, checked the menu, and placed our orders. But as we sat there, waiting for the meals to arrive, me feeling relieved to have my final exams done, I couldn't help but notice the concern in Ben's eyes.

Reaching across the table, I placed a hand on his, immediately feeling his nervousness. "What's wrong?" I asked gently.

He bit his lip, withdrawing his hand from under mine. "I want to ask you something..."

"It's okay. You can ask."

He looked at the table, and I thought for a while he wasn't going to say anything. But finally his eyes shyly met mine, and he said, "When the new year starts, would you move in with me?"

My jaw went slack, his words mulling over in my head. Did I hear him right? I wondered. "Into your mansion?"

He laughed. "It's not a mansion, but yes. Our house."

"I can't afford that..."

"You wouldn't pay anything. We already own it."

"But the power bills—"

"Are our problem. You would just have to live there."

"In your room?"

He grinned and looked away. "I was hoping so..."

"But it's so..." I leaned slowly across the table and whispered, "Vampire-esque."

He chuckled at that comment. "We can redecorate so it feels more like your room."

I leaned back, staring at him. Waiting for the catch.

"What do you think?"

"Why?"

"Why do I want you to move in with me?"

I nodded.

"Because I love you."

I rolled my eyes. "But isn't it too soon?"

"Perhaps... but when uni returns you'll be really busy again. I never see you as it is and if you lived with me... We wouldn't have that problem next term. And... spending that one night with you was so amazing I want it every night."

His comment warmed my cautious heart, making me really want to cave. But I wasn't quite done. "What about your friends?"

"They're your friends too. And they are all for it."

"So they know?"

He nodded. "You know Lukas and Erica would be over the moon to have you around more often. Not as excited as me of course but..."