48: Lost Track

The library was just as I remembered as I rounded the corner to the place where I met Ben. Where I used to spend my days lost in mythology... the very stories that had now become my reality. It seemed like a lifetime ago, when life was full of more colour and innocence, yet, at the same time, duller. My magic, my friends, and my partner had brought a spark and fullness to my life I never knew I needed yet, at the same time, a part of me missed feeling like nobody noticed me. Long gone were the days I could sit down to read a good book or curl up with my laptop and write a story.

The house was always full of life and people. My days were packed with study, socialisation, magic, and training. My life wasn't really mine anymore, because so many others had taken a piece of it for themselves. And while it was scary to depend so much on a group of people, I still wouldn't have it any other way.

I knew that when I got home, there'd be so many arms I could fall into. That one moment of self-doubt would go noticed by one of them. That a warm smile would greet me and any boredom would be brushed away by a fun story or a shared experience.

Running my hand down the spine of the books I used to read, my fingers came to a pause over the book I had placed in Ben's pile that day; the act that started this all. Had I never picked out that book, would we even be together? Would I ever be a fairy? Would I have met all my friends?

I pulled it out, sat in my old usual seat, and began to read it.

· · ───── ∘☽༓☾∘ ───── · ·

When I walked in the house that evening—just before sundown—I glanced around the living room before I closed the door behind me.

"Who are you avoiding?" Ivan asked, coming down the stairs.

"No one," I mumbled, gently shutting the door behind me. "Is everyone else up yet?"

"I haven't seen them."

"Right. Okay." I glanced into the kitchen as I walked down the hallway a little further, noticing Erica and Jayce sharing a hot drink together.

"I'm going to go," I said, sliding past Ivan and heading up the stairs.

"Are you okay, Olivia?" he asked.

"Perfectly fine. Thanks." Then I took the stairs two at a time, coming to a halt when I reached the top landing. My heart was pounding in my chest as I took a hesitant glance towards his door.

Did he remember our exchange this morning? How would he react when he saw me again? Should I tell Ben what happened?

I took a few deep breaths and kept walking, back to my room.

"Morning," Ben mumbled from bed as I closed the door behind me.

"It is far from morning," I complained, crossing my arms over my chest.

He squinted at me, eyes running over me as he took in my clothing. "Where've you been?"

"Oh, you know, after I cancelled all the plans I made for your birthday, I went out and enjoyed it by myself."

He sat up, running a hand through his curly locks as he yawned. "You made plans?"

"Yup."

Picking up his phone, he glanced at the time. "But it was hot today."

"Well you never told me that you're an intolerable dick when it's hot."

His eyes went wide as the screen turned off, gaze meeting mine. "What did I do?"

"You don't remember?"

Biting his lip, he said, "I remember the lovely... present this morning."

"Do you remember the part where you told me to, and I quote, 'fuck off'."