Chapter Fourteen

Once the door closed, Sasha turned back towards Saleem. "Are you sure she's still in the institution in the UK?"

"Yes, I talked to the doctor last night. Not actually locked away, going out into society mingling again, monitored. Her passport was confiscated if she had one. There is no way she could be here, so where does that leave us? I can't believe this is all happening again, this time targeting my girl," Saleem growled, raking a hand through his hair. He should've sent her back then again. Not having her at his side wasn't an opinion he would take. "So Karim informed you of my history?"

"I was informed about the situation when it happened, prepared to join you if needed. This could be a scare tactic that has nothing to do with the other. Seen as a threat to your affection from a fan. You have never seen out with the same woman twice. Miss Leigh is a different matter, would be and seen as something more permanent," Sasha speculated.

"That was done on purpose, anyway they were only a part of the film business, co-stars. Most of the time I was the cover. Not wanting the media to know who they were involved with unless it was serious or give them the privacy they needed."

"True, however, you should Google yourself Ziyad under Saleem and see it from your lady's side." Their eyes drifted across to the closed door, where there was a sudden burst of singing, both smiling. Off-key. At least she was back to her happy self again. "That one is not from your world, either of them."

"That's why Heather is so special." Saleem had baulked at her comment of not knowing him, not through ego, keeping his cards close to his heart, something he was used to. Apart from those closest to him, a tiny group, like Sasha's boss was one of them. Mostly through his other world. His homeland.

"Then let's make her feel protected. All I can give you is my solemn word. Nothing will happen to your special treasure. She is a delight. Then we will have to make her feel safe, da?" Saleem heard his hesitation. "For her peace of mind, you want that?"

"Of course. Do whatever you have to do. I'll arrange lunch at the restaurant."

Saleem talked to management, while Sasha oversaw everything else to his acceptance. Refreshed from the bath, Heather changed into three-quarter length pants and loose hobo-style, joining Ziyad, who had changed into light pants and a pale blue shirt. Sasha added a black leather jacket over his black t-shirt and pants, and they headed downstairs. They first went to reception, collecting their new fobs for the last elevator that they only had access to.

Finally headed into the restaurant on the ground floor where they were met by the manager and shown to the back of the restaurant, window seat since there were no private rooms, yet screened off. Heather settled off to the side, a man on each side. Sasha's back to the window, Heather seeing what they were doing when there was no need.

"Why don't you move to the other side? I don't need to be hemmed in and you're missing the views." Sasha eyed off Ziyad, who nodded, so shifted onto the other chair, and settled in as menus were placed in front of them. The fourth set was removed, giving them all more arm room around the table.

It felt good to get out of the room. Heather relaxed after the bath, aware of Saleem's gaze upon her. She smiled, glad to see his relief. None of this was supposed to be happening. He should be on set without a care in the world. Just because of his profession, being in the public eye didn't make him public property, in her eyes.

Even here, she could feel the interest of other diners, even ones passing the window from the street. "Maybe we should change seats." She was hiding in the shadows. "Away from the window."

Saleem looked at her, startled. "Why would we do that?" he asked, oblivious to what was happening around them.

"Oh, nothing," going back to the menu. If he can ignore it, so could she. To be honest, it was all about Saleem, something he was welcome to. That was a big part of his lifestyle, she realised, living in a fishbowl.