Chapter Thirty-One

Twenty-eight hours later

Heather stared at her brother in disbelief. How could he do this to her?

"Are you crazy? Why should I ring that bastard?"

"Stop it, Dale, it's my life. I need to talk to Ziyad." Her phone's broken from the tumble.

"Who the hell is Ziyad?"

Tears filled her eyes because she had let it out again.

How easily she could've betrayed him by a slip of a tongue

"Dale Mark Leigh, you will ring him now," his mother snapped, also glared at by his father

Confused, his eyes darted from one to the other. "Who?"

"Saleem," they said in unison.

Heather turned desperately towards her mother. "He must think the worst, Mum," she cried out in tormented pain, having her hand taken by her mother, squeezing. Her father was at her other side, they hadn't left her side since they had found out.

The thought of losing him for good made the pain from the fall nothing. She felt nothing, apart from the torment of not being given the chance to tell him how she felt.

How deeply she felt for him.

"Don't worry, he'll understand once he knows."

"Darling, he cares for you deeply," her father added, sharing a look with his wife, who shook his head.

"Like he wanted to explain to me. I wouldn't let him in the proper sense. Oh, my god what have I done!" She loved him. It was that simple. He had come back for her and flew across the world. In reality, they hadn't been given a real chance. She had fallen into his arms.

Sniffing, she gave a weak smile. "Ziyad always said I only knew two speeds. Fast and faster. I was going too fast again. His arms weren't there to catch me this time." Tears trickled down her washed-out cheeks.

"He was on bended knee," Dale pointed out, still hesitant.

"Talking to me, not proposing. I wanted that more than anything. I want a life they stole from us. I don't care anymore."

"How do you know that?" asked Dale.

"I don't, however, others tried to tear us apart. Don't do that to me as well, Dale," she begged. "He needs to know I didn't abandon him. I don't know what's ahead of us, even if we survive, but give us a chance to find out. If he goes home, he won't come back, not this time. Just tell him I'm alright, I wanted to be there but something out of my control stopped me. We will meet up soon. Also, tell him my phone's broken."

They all glared at him, even his wife. "Okay." He removed his phone and walked out, grumbling they were lucky he hadn't deleted his number. "Don't worry, he will get your message."

So was Heather, searching out her mother, who brushed soft hair from her sore and battered face. Knocking her head on the pavement had knocked her out cold, which could've been worse if she had fallen in front of traffic.

The daylight was fading into darkness. Many hours had passed.

With no idea who she was, out cold, it had taken a while to contact her family

Over time, woke to make sure she didn't have a concussion, asking questions.

Finally, finding out a name, ringing Dale.

Who had rang their parents to find them frantic, hearing nothing from Heather and had her bag? Her phone went straight to the message bank. They rushed to the hospital, staying vigilant at her side. Over a day had passed since she had hit the pavement.