Chapter Thirty

How Ziyad had hungered for her touch, not sure how Sasha had talked him into what he had done to his beautiful girl and had to ease back before it was too late. She had always distracted his thoughts.

Then she was pushing him away, shaking her head. "No, you're not doing this to me again, dazzling me with your charm." She repelled from his hold, letting her go, had to.

He was moving far too fast. There was confusion and bewilderment in her eyes, pushing hair from her face that had broken free from the loose, messy ponytail. Probably had help from him.

Breathing laboured and heart racing, he struggled to keep his distance, clenching hands at his side that were clammy.

No more secrets between them, watching her through hooded gaze, drinking in her beautiful face, peeks of luscious black hair, skin fair, those mocha eyes dilated, lips soft, full and parted, inviting.

However, he had to focus on them, the past, the present, and the future, especially the future which was still tricky and uncertain. A complicated issue and it didn't help when she kept looking at him in disarray mixed with curiosity.

Briefly, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Where to begin?" Rubbing his forehead.

"At the beginning," she suggested, crossing her arms, keeping her distance, closed off.

"Ah, the beginning." He smiled with memories. "This amazing angel from heaven fell into my arms and changed my life forever. For the first time, I wanted to make a life with someone." She eyed him with uncertainty. "Trust me, my parents have been trying to marry me off for years. I have avoided it like the plague."

"You didn't want to settle down, get married, and have kids?" Her eyes clouded over and flicked her bottom lips with her teeth.

"Not before I met you. I was enjoying my chosen career, so removed from my family's path, one I was born into." Her fingers dug into her arms, watching him intensely. She had put her trust in him and deserved better than how she was treated by him, of all people, no matter the reason. His actions had badly damaged her trust.

What had he been thinking? Not clearly. The thought of her being in actual danger, life threatened, forced his hand. They didn't know how far they will go to achieve their end desires, not wanting to take the chance. He'd needed to keep her safe and the safest place was home, away from him.

After all, he was the centre of the issues and always had been.

He had brought this upon her.

The note, Logan, and the photos.

Now he had to fix the damage he had done, and she was giving him a chance to do so. Well, listening to what he had to say. More than he had done, yet he'd already known what had gone down, mentally shaking himself.

He had to stay on track, so no more kissing those delicious enticing lips, moving away, and settling down on the sofa.

Damn, he had to do better than this, and he had negotiated deals with heads of state without breaking a sweat.

Heather joined him opposite in a chair, hands clasped between tight knees.

Ah, yes, the photos. He had no inkling she had taken them, tugging at his earlobe. "About the photos."

She shifted uncomfortably, eyes clouding over again, mouth thinning. "Yes?" she asked warily. Who could blame her? Still a sore subject. The tip of her pink tongue swiped across her lips, kicking him hard in the guts, sending heat roaring down to his groin. "They were for my private use."

Bringing up thoughts of her enjoying photos of him, in private, invoked more heat, shifting in his seat. He inclined his head. "I understand that just wished you had told me."