6: Disguise

A month passes by like nothing in Athanasia's new life and she often bumped with the black-haired guy in the Garnet Palace.

They introduced each other and it turns out his name was Lucas, and he was the tower magician, chosen by the Emperor himself to return.

He didn't explain further despite Athanasia's building questions but it stayed like that with him after two more times of interaction.

Felix suddenly called for her. "Princess!"

She turned around, her blonde hair swaying with her as she met eyes with a panting Felix.

"Sorry, Your Highness, for disrupting your day." he straightened his back, "His Majesty has called for you in his office."

Athanasia smiled at him and nodded before walking past him and towards the Emperor's office.

She was familiar with the Palace halls now after a full month of staying here.

She finally reaches the office door and she knocks in respect.

"Enter."

She opens the door and bows in greeting to her father. "You called for me, father?"

Claude smiled slightly. "You don't need to be so formal with me anymore, Athanasia." she looked back up at him.

"But, yes, I called for you to ask when you want your coronation to happen."

Athanasia walked up to him. "When? But... the preparations?"

Claude shook his head. "Actually, I wanted a year to prepare for your coronation... but I changed my mind and went ahead and finished the preparations early. Now, all I need is your approval of when."

Athanasia looked surprised, but she was thankful of his somewhat thoughtfulness.

"Um... maybe... Next week?" she finally voiced. Claude hummed. "If you wish. Alright, it's settled; your coronation will be held next week."

He honestly looked excited for her coronation. Athanasia smiled. "Okay."

Claude smiled at her fondly. "I'll be waiting for you when that day comes."

She raised a brow, confused of what he meant.

He looked back down at his paperwork. "You said you wanted your first birthday gift from me to be a dance. We'll dance together in your coronation."

"Oh! Right!" Athanasia was flattered that Claude remembered. He was really living up to the role of a father.

Claude nodded. "Alright. You're dismissed."

Athanasia nodded back and walked back to the door rather joyfully, also excited for her upcoming coronation. She pulls the door open and leaves the office, shutting the door behind her carefully.

As she walked through the halls thinking of how her dance with her father would be like, she suddenly bumped into someone.

Her eyes widened and she quickly aplogized.

"Oh, no need to apologize, Princess."

She looked up sheepishly before meeting with a white-haired man with yellow eyes.

He was the same man that took Jennette back to his manor

"Ah... hello. I sincerely apologize for bumping into you. I..."

The man chuckled, "You don't need to apologize at all, Princess. It was my fault for not moving aside."

He smiled down at her with closed eyes. "Anyway, my name is Roger Alpheus, but you can call me Duke Alpheus. I'm sure you saw me last month with Jennette... Aside from that, I heard that you'll be coronated next week."

Athanasia was about to ask if he was eavesdropping before he waved her off. "I'd like to know if you already have a partner? Maybe you'd like to take my son to the dance-"

"Um, I'll have to politely decline your offer, um, Duke Alpheus," she replied softly.

He tilted his head. "But-"

"I've already asked His Majesty for a dance."

His yellow eyes widened. "He agreed?" she nodded.

Right then, Felix appeared from behind them. "Your Highness, can you please exit this hall for a moment? I have something to speak with Duke Alpheus."

Athanasia quickly obliges and leaves with a slightly shy smile towards the Duke.

Felix smiled at her as she left and she failed to realize the true reason he was there.

-----

Lucas watched as Athanasia went back out to the garden.

The protection spell the Emperor has on her is powerful... Is that why that dark mana from inside dimmed?

Athanasia took a deep breath of the fresh air of the Garnet Palace garden and she sat down on one of the benches beside the stone pathway.

Lucas watched her closely. That girl's mana is powerful, just like the Emperor's... Maybe that's just another reason for the dark mana to fail entrapping her. Whoever holds that mana must be weak...

-----

Felix frowned towards Roger Alpheus.

"Who are you?" he asked, magic ready to flare at his fingertips with his sword drawn with the other.

The Duke glared at him. "Hah. So it was that easy to track me down, hm?"

Felix clenched the sword's handle in his hand tightly.

"So the Emperor was right. You..."

Duke Alpheus' face morphed into someone else.

"

"...are really Anastasius, the former Emperor...",

Anastasius laughed as his disguise fell. There was a red glint in his jewel eyes. "Heh. Goodbye for now, Robain."

He teleported away and Felix let him go without chase.

The Emperor said not to pursue the weak, after all.