22: Planning

Anastasius didn't hesitate to knock on Alpheus' door.

The man, somehow he knew, wasn't in the Princess' ball. Maybe he was just too shaken up from...

Does he know about what happened with Jennette?

Yes, Anastasius himself knows. Jennette was his daughter, and that Lucas told him with a sneer about what Aeternitas did to her.

It took a few moments before the door opened.

However, instead of a maid like usual, it was the Duke's son instead.

Anastasius was in his disguise as he, in respect, lowered his head to the boy.

His name was Ijekiel, Anastasius remembered, and he was supposed to be engaged to Jennette once she becomes Crowned Princess.

There's still a chance... A voice started at the back of his head. He shakes it off and Ijekiel asked why he was there.

He does not seem to know what is happening with Jennette or the Emperor, but the blond thinks that it's for the better.

"Can I see your father?"

-----

"What do you need, Ije-"

Roger Alpheus' eyes widened at the sight of Anastasius.

"You... what are you doing here?" he questioned in suspicion.

Anastasius shrugged with an easy smile. "I presume you know what happened with Jennette." the Duke flinched.

"...what are you on about?"

Anastasius didn't restrain his comfortability and sat down on the couch of the Duke's study.

His eyes didn't glint red but they still looked dangerous. He leaned on the side of the sofa with his elbow supporting his weight. He laid his head on his fist, staring at the clock on the top of the door.

"You know

"You know. Alpheus."

The Duke frowned at him, still undeniably suspicious of his sudden return.

"...maybe, I still have a chance. At re-taking the throne."

Though he knew his heart said otherwise.

-----

Athanasia decided to eat lunch with Jennette in the Emerald Palace garden. She would've preferred the Garnet Palace garden if it was repaired. She still wanted to have tea in the afternoon with her father there.

Jennette wasn't talking much when they started eating. Felix decided by himself that he would guard the Princess instead of the Emperor, as Lucas was there.

Felix knew Lucas' power because it was Claude himself that called for him personally to recruit him as the tower magician. Felix was aware that Claude knew more than what he let on.

But the red-haired knight wasn't the type to pry and he sure wouldn't to the Emperor.

Felix just watched as the Crowned Princess ate queitly with Jennette, the former Princess.

Felix was surprised when he saw Jennette's jewel eyes suddenly turn green when he saw her again.

She looked a lot like Penelope Judith. Felix never liked that snake woman...

But aside from snippets of the situation, Felix knew nothing else. Jennette, the usually lively girl, was so quiet it almost worried the knight, and the Princess who looked so gloomy and sad he felt so bad for her.

The Emperor was his friend and her father, so he could sympathise with her.

"Athy- I mean your highness," Jennette suddenly started. Athanasia looked stunned at the nickname, despite Jennette changing her words on the spot. No one, not even her father called her that aside from Lily.

"...yes, Jennette?"

"About... my father."

Felix listened closely as the Princess gulped her food. "What about uncle?" she answered.

Jennette started fiddling with her hands, like she was nervous of something.

Her uncomfortability reached even Felix from behind the Princess.

"My father, I... heard him. Talking."

This seems to pique the Princess' interest. "With who?"

Jennette gulped, looking away from Athanasia's eyes. "...in his sleep. He-"

She paused. Her hands stilled; as if she remembered something.

"...nevermind. I'm sorry for being silly, your highness."

Athanasia wasn't stupid. But... "Alright. Whatever you say, Jennette." she smiled at the brunette warmly.

The brunette blushed slightly in embarrassment. "I mean it, your high... Athanasia. It was just something I thought was odd with his sleeping patterns. Though I doubt you need to know about that..."

Athanasia just chuckled into her hand. "It's fine, Jenny." the brunette's eyes widened at the nickname. "Just know you can tell me anything. Even though we're cousins, to me, you're still my sister." the Princess smiled brightly.

They laughed together.

Later that afternoon, Athanasia cleared up the reason why the ball was cancelled half way.

The nobles didn't dare question the Princess in fear of the Emperor.

-----

Lucas stared at Claude again.

It's been a week since he fell asleep. Still unconscious.

He could leave if only there wasn't a familiar presence outside his door three days into his Sleeping Beauty mode.

Lucas just sat around doing nothing, already bored of staring at the portraits in the room.

He looked back at Claude.

He really is beautiful, and that by itself is strange coming from him.

He sighed. Athanasia definitely got her charm from him. What a sleeping beauty.

But that wasn't the point. He had been here guarding him for safety measures and balancing his mana whenever it got too much of a certain edge but that was it. Aside from black magic, he... had nothing else to go by.

Sure, he could go to the World Tree and take a branch or two while burning it, but that would mean no one would be able to take care of his mana.

If the Emperor's mana goes too haywire and unbalanced, he could die from mana overload, and his organs would all explode.

Lucas' mana was powerful, maybe more powerful than Claude's, but his mana wasn't imperial. It wasn't blue and pure, like the Imperial family's. Aeternitas' was pure too, but too small of an amount.

He sighed into his palm. "What am I going to do with you..." Why'd the Emperor dabble in dangerous dark magic like this?

What an idiot.

-----

Anastasius will try to tone down his sleep talking. His own offspring might snitch on him and reveal his plans.

And he doesn't really feel like killing anybody soon, much less his own...