31: Revelation

"...What?"

"You heard right. I killed him."

At Athanasia's assurance Claude's eyes widened further.

"Why."

Athanasia frowned slightly. "What do you mean? Didn't you say you were to execute him?"

Claude looked away from her eyes. "You were insistent. I had thought he simply lived in another palace with that wench daughter of his."

More to his surprise, Athanasia didn't try to defend Jennette. Strange...just what happened while I was asleep?

"...you executed him." Claude tried to clarify.

Athanasia stayed quiet. "I did. However... Not how you'd expect it."

Claude raised a brow. "How so?"

The Empress took a small sip of tea, savoring it once again before facing Claude unflinchingly. "I stabbed him. On his chest, after he tried to kill me for the throne."

Claude's hand banged hard on the table, causing his tea to fall over and spill.

"I knew that bastard was up to SOMETHING!" malice coated his voice but also something else close to rage as he shouted in anger. Just the mere thought of Anastasius standing above the corpse of Athanasia drives him insane.

Athanasia's eyes looked to the side, her jewels once again devoid of much emotion.

"It was that incident, in your bedroom... that I realized my naivety."

At the mention of his bedroom shock coated his features. Is that why he woke up in another?

"It was my fault all of this happened. My fault you turned to black magic. Because I sided with that monster instead of you." her eyes returned to his, a cold feeling inside her jewels.

"I was wrong to have tried to defend him... I was stupid. I realized that you were only being nice to me despite my stupidity... I was a naive little girl before my hands got stained with his filthy blood. It was then that I realized this wasn't just some fairytale where I'll end up finding a prince charming... no, it was reality. And I realized I needed to be as cold as you were to me in the years before you started warming up to me. Anastasius taught me with his actions that even if you're family... greed will always have the higher advantage in human minds. And I've chosen 'family' over the person that truly cared for me like family. I'm a failure of a Royal. A failure of a daughter."

Claude couldn't keep up with what she was saying. Athanasia was... blaming herself, all these years, while he laid asleep peacefully?

What kind of father am I? Letting my baby girl put all the blame on herself?

But he had to admit she isn't wrong. But he, too, deserves part of the blame.

"...with that in mind, I apologize sincerely." she bowed her head slightly in apology.

Claude was quick to dismiss her actions. "No, no." it was as if his voice cracked in sympathy that Athanasia had been holding all that burden while performing his royal duties for him.

Athanasia lifted her head and Claude swiftly leaned over the table and pulled her into a tight hug.

The Empress' eyes widened slightly at the contact before returning the hug tighter.

Felix behind them watched with similar sympathy as he heard what Athanasia had said. So her majesty has been hiding all that pain inside of her? He resisted the urge to run up to her and also hug her.

No one could believe it as Claude hugged her tighter, as if trying to squeeze all that burden out of her.

"You have nothing to apologize for. You don't need to be cold to survive. You're not a failure of a Royal, or daughter. If anything; you're the best anyone can have."

Athanasia wouldn't cry. Couldn't cry. Three years was enough to steel her heart.

But...

The comfort of her father was enough to melt it.

And so, she cried.

After three years, she sobbed.

Claude pulled away from the hug and let her tell him everything.

And she did. Claude listened carefully, encouraging her as her tears subsided.

That day, something returned to the former Empress.

Maybe it was empathy.

-----

"Well done, your majesty, well done."

Lucas grinned from ear to ear as he re-watched Athanasia crying.

The Empress glared at him, although this time humorously.

She sighed. "Really."

Lucas grinned wider like the Cheshire Cat. "Really."

Then he hummed, as if taking notice of a key detail. "...but I noticed." he continued. "You didn't tell him we're together?"

Athanasia smirked slightly, not looking at Lucas directly.

His ruby eyes widened. "You mischievous wom-!"

Lucas poofed away as Athanasia used her magic. Think wisely about what you say, Lucas. I'm still the Empress.

Who would've thought the new 'tyrant Empress' still had some humor left.

-----

Claude knew that aside from Athanasia simply venting to him, there was something else.

He hoped it was not about a new 'Emperor', bless her wisdom. He was well aware that she is at that age.